Question Why 2.5 should not be in booster

1mommy

So my friend watches a few children for a couple hours a day and I noticed the 2.5 year old had an evenflo high back booster, when I mentioned to my friend that I thought the girl was to young for a booster she said I don't think so, it seems fine, I mentioned that I thought it was the law in MI, I looked it up and the law only says they need to be in a car seat.... They only reason I can give is that she's too young to sit still, but if my friend says she can what other reason can I give her?

ADS

creideamh

A 5 point harness spreads the crash forces which is needed for that age because the chest and ribcage aren't formed enough to take the force from just a seatbelt. There's actually been a study or two proving a 5 point is safer for kids under 4, but I'm on mobile and they're favourited to my laptop!

henrietta

There's more, too.

The hip bones are not flared out enough (the iliac crest) to catch on the lap belt, and even if they were at this age, the bones are not yet strong enough to those crash forces. A child that size can submarine under the lap belt, even in a booster seat. It's really, really unsafe for a 2.5 yr old to be in a booster.

mping

I remember years ago when our neighbors came back from a vacation and they bought a booster for their not quite 3 year old. It made me so sad. I'm pretty sure she thought we were nuts too bc my daughter at the time was 4 1/2 and of course harnessed and my son was 2 1/2 and RF! She's almost 6 now and still doesn't sit properly in a booster because she was never taught :/

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
And in addition to everything said above, there is also the problem of small children being able to sit properly in a booster. When they are so young, they lack impulse control. In a booster, unlike a harnessed seat, they can pull the belt away, tuck it under, unbuckle easily. All very dangerous things!

1mommy

Thanks everyone I talked to my friend and she said she would bring it up to the Mom, but she said the Mom isn't very open to "parenting advice" and money is tight, turns out the seat is a hand me down from her eldest dd who is 12 @-@... My friend said she would suggest that she attend a seat check in town but doesn't think the Mom will, or if she does will care...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC