Car seat issues!

tl01

Okay... I was going to get DS1 a booster for my new car... Since I think it have more options now. Tried the Monterey but he didn't like it. He said the side bolsters by his legs bothered him. He really likes the new parkway... But recently I have found him out of position more than I would like. He's about 7.25 years old. He is pretty neurotypical. He takes safety pretty seriously. When he's out of position it isn't a defiance issue but more he's just trying to get comfy. How frequent would the out of positioning have to be before you would buy a $250 harnessed seat? I know even adults sometimes sit out of position so I don't expect perfection. Here's how I caught him today...

EAB01C7A-0A9C-4A0D-9432-6BD1D77D8D42-1600-0000009EE39ED53B_zps5facc714.jpg

He's really tall for his age... And has this much space left in the frontier 90.

8446398E-0492-4FFC-8047-2B1BC6FA6914-1600-0000009EED1E2AE1_zpsc981c9db.jpg

The seat he wants me to buy him is the new parkway. I thought it looked a little narrow for him... But he loved it. He had enough growth room and I think it provides more side protection than the one he is in.

F5903BEA-6998-45D8-B3E3-E5D027FD5CFE-1600-0000009F31D89BC4_zps486d44a1.jpg

ADS

Phineasmama

It doesn't look THAT bad to me, I mean he is slumped a little but at least he's not putting the shoulder belt behind his back or something. I would try a more narrow/confining booster before the harnessed seat. I lose a lot of harness when I put the FR90 in my van :(

Also do you have the SG clip for him?

tl01

It doesn't look THAT bad to me, I mean he is slumped a little but at least he's not putting the shoulder belt behind his back or something. I would try a more narrow/confining booster before the harnessed seat. I lose a lot of harness when I put the FR90 in my van :(

Also do you have the SG clip for him?

No... He never tries to move the belt or anything. Today though, he had sand on his back from the park and was trying to lean forward til I told him he couldn't. It just seems we are having more issues with him in the booster now than we did before. I do have the SG clip but I rather hate it. I'd almost rather rear face him than use the sg clip. Good to know you lose a lot of height with the FR90. Maybe I just need to get him the new parkway and keep reminding him. Last week I caught him with his feet on the seat with his knees bent up... That wasn't good at all.

MommyShannon

Are feet on the seat a big issue? DD does that some but her belt still looks good. DD moved to a nbb just before 8. She sat fine in her PW SGL but seemed awkward. She is able to sit more naturally it seems in her nbb. I think she was sitting awkward to see around the headwings.

scoutingbear

Have you tried taking the back off for a few rides yet? I'm betting that it hits him weird on the back of the legs because the PW is a more shallow seat. Taking off the back will give him a little more room. Then you will better be able to judge if it is a comfort issue due to lack of support or a wiggly kid no matter what issue

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It looks to me like he was trying to get comfortable while feeling "pushed forward." A legrest might help. (Taking the back off might too but at his age I'm guessing he sleeps in the car still?)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC