Question Twins on the way and sorting through options

There's wisdom in the masses. What do you think is our best bet?

• Britax B-Chaperone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Safety 1st Onboard 35

• Other

• Total voters

wg17

We have twins on the way and making choices can be overwhelming, even for (perhaps especially for?) planners and researchers like us. We've devoured tons of information but still don't seem much closer to a consensus choice, so looking to crowdsource opinion...and apologies in advance for the generality of this post.

We initially started off thinking a convertible seat was the way to go instead of having to buy and then replace within the first year, since having to buy two of everything starts to add up. But the more we read, it seems that's not the most prudent way to go...especially with twins, so now we're focusing on infant seats. The rest of our facts:

We drive a 2009 Nissan Rogue, which from what we've read, seems to have a relatively small backseat. Its our only car.

We're city folk who don't do a whole lot of driving on a regular basis. However, we imagine we'll need to do a little more with twins on board--doctor trips, trips to the grandparents, etc. Given the amount of driving we do, though, we don't think stroller conversion is a big requirement.

6'1 husband does most of the driving but occasionally rides shotgun while smaller wife takes the wheel, so there are some concerns about front seat leg room.

There's a spoiled medium sized (30 lb.) dog in the picture, too, who is used to his run of the backseat (albeit in a buckled state). He'll obviously have to adjust, but ideally we'd be able to fit him in the backseat next to the two car seats. So width is a concern.

Price is obviously a factor, but at the end of the day, safety, comfort and convenience are going to trump a few dollars. We're looking at all the usual suspects--Chicco Keyfit 30, Safety 1st Onboard 35 (Air and regular), Britax B-Safe and B-Chaperone, and Graco Snugride.

Any general advice or recommendations?

Thanks so much in advance.

ADS

scoutingbear

The keyfit tends to fit smaller babies well and many times twins are on the smaller side. They also fit onto a snap n' go which might be handy if you take public transit or are by yourself for dr. appointments, or other errands. We have friends that do infant only foster care and :love: their keyfits and snap n' go for their "twins" that they have had this year (two babies whose birthdays are within 2 weeks of each other).

You may be able to find a double snap n go on craigslist and then have one other "good" stroller for bigger outings, etc.

Mary_Ann

I have a b-safe and love it. It fits newborns well (rated 4-30 lbs in us, 4-22 in Canada), doesnt take much room front to back, really easy to install, has a tall shell so it might last longer than others and it's really convenient with the britax strollers (clic-n-go adapters). I own both a b-agile and a b-ready strollers. I don't have twins ( my daughters are 5 mos and almost 5yo) but the b-agile double seems great for twins! These are long lasting strollers, dd1 still fits and she's 41" and 42lbs!

* The chaperone is huge and take a lot of room front to back because of the anti-rebound bar of the base. I would skip it!

krasota

We don't put the dog in back with the baby. Even a good dog can be unpredictable. The dog rides harnessed in the front seat. DH rides in the back seat with the kids when we're on long road trips. Sometimes I sit in back, but I like driving.

While none of the dog safety belts will necessarily save the dog, I hope that they can keep him from being too great of a projectile in case of a wreck.

wg17

The dog would probably be very ammenable to your proposed alignment. We have the cargo space for him too, but would rather not go that route if we can avoid. Just concerned about the seating space for an adult next to two carseats, especially after reading that the 2009 Rogue has a relatively narrow back seat hip width (51.2" wide)

krasota

The hip room is one reason we moved DD to a Radian. We do have plenty of backseat room in our Crown Vic, but a bucket in the center took up a lot of room and wasn't comfortable to sit next to.

wg17

The Radian was the early leading candidate when we thought about going straight to a convertible. And we'll obviously eventually need to go to convertibles. Is it a big difference width wise compared to the other infant carriers?

wg17

No love at all for the Safety 1st OnBoard Air?

Any opinion ont he Comfy Carry Elite? Going that route would save $200...is it penny wise pound foolish?

No love at all for the Safety 1st OnBoard Air?

Any opinion ont he Comfy Carry Elite? Going that route would save $200...is it penny wise pound foolish?

The Comfy Carry Elite is very light, and fits littles well. It sounds like a good option for you. If you're looking for nicer covers and a slightly easier install, the Chicco KeyFit is a great option.

All seats sold on the market in your country of residence are safe to use there. What makes a car seat unsafe is improper installation, usage and child fit.

You will find that with twins, having infants seats is likely to make your travels easier, and the fact that twins are usually smaller at birth, means they get a fair amount of time out of them.

So if the seat fits your vehicle, budget, lifestyle and child(ren), and is installed and used properly every single time then it's safe :) The price differences usually stem from different features, cover materials, inserts, etc.

nannykates

The onboard is quite long (which leads to front seats needing to be pushed forward sometimes but also lasts a super long time by height. Comfy carry elite is a fine seat too you just wont hear people sing it praises quite like the keyfit and bsafe because its harder to install and just not as "nice".

In your case I would go comfy carry elite before onboard since it sounds like you may want to switch to convertible sooner rather than later. If you haven't already see if you can find any of these seats in store and try the buckles and buckleing in a babydoll or teddy bear(target should have the b-safe and keyfit in the car seat aisle and an onboard on a travel system). The most important thing is getting seats you can use correctly every time so really what ever seat that is is the best for you.

Eta-I cross posted with happiness and balance who touched on much of this too.

wg17

problem with the comfy carry elite is that its only a 22 lb. max, which means they'll outgrow it sooner than later, and we have concerns about going rear facing with a convertible...

is the onboard really that long? significantly moreso than the keyfit or the britax?

nannykates

Its pretty long. Rear facing convertible seats generally take up less space front to back than infant seats (once kids are old enough to not need a full 45 degree recline).

nannykates

I'm gonna muddy the water up for you some more. Have you looked at the graco click connect seats? The 35 can be found for a bit less than a keyfit or b-safe and it is super narrow and light. The way the base is designed you don't loose as much front seat room as some others in my opinion but it still has a long shell and will last a long time!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd choose a Keyfit off your list- but if it's an option I'd also consider the Cybex Aton. It's much more compact than the Keyfit but only has 1/2 inch less shell height. (Neither it nor the Keyfit is going to last you as long as a SnugRide 35 or OnBoard 35 or Chaperone. The shells are just not as tall, and most seats are outgrown by most babies by height before weight.)

MorgieBear'sMama

When I bought infant seats for my twins I compared a few of my favorites. I actually went to the store, carried two around, put them side by side, took height and weight into consideration.

I ended up with two keyfit 30's. We used them until 15 months when my larger twin got close to outgrowing height wise at 24lbs (glad I didn't get the 22).

jwilliams

If you want another "me too" - for our twins, we went with two KeyFit 30s and a FF Radian in our Honda Insight (smaller back seat than yours). They fit well, although we did have to be extra careful that the KeyFits clicked in, which shouldn't be an issue in a seat that is a few inches wider. The Radian was center, and it was very easy to load and buckle my daughter before popping the KeyFits in their bases. She could also easily climb under the KeyFits if we needed to get only her in or out of the car.

But here's my "if I had to do it again" - I'd consider the Cybex Aton, depending on your budget (good god - I didn't realize how pricey the Atons are). It's a little wider than the KeyFit, but takes up significantly less space front-to-back. Nice for the people up front!

With twins (winter babies, no less), I personally wouldn't consider going straight to convertibles for both babies. For one of them, yes, but not both. It's just easier to have at least one baby secure. However, it depends on your preferences for stroller use and babywearing, and how often you will be taking two or three children somewhere without another adult. You might have to think through how you are going to handle two infants, logistically :)

One more thing - you probably won't have a problem selling KeyFits when you are done with them. They seem to be pretty popular. I don't live in an area full of expensive-seat-buying people, and I was able to sell mine pretty quickly for $75 each after using them for about 9 months.

BTW the Radian will take up tons of room front-to-back RF for a newborn. It is a looong seat at the newborn angle. When the babies get older you could consider it with an angle adjuster, but good head control/sitting ability is required for that to be safe.

Last edited:

LBR

I had a Snugride 22 for DS2, and he outgrew it by height in 4 months, so I moved him to a MyRide65. It was not always fun having to carry a "floppy" baby around in the grocery store, etc. (I can't imagine twins!) I wore him in a carrier some, but he wasn't a big fan. I got a B-Safe for DS3, and I love it. He is 25 lbs, and almost 9 months, and he is just now on the last harness height. Its heavy to lug around, but very nice when running errands with 2 LO.

I finally decided on the B-Safe because it fit well in my van and was easily compatible with my B-Ready. I looked at the Keyfits, too, and have heard great things about them. They seem to be compatible with many different strollers, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC