Talk to me about the Kia Sedona...

SavsMom

We have been looking at getting a Mazda5 - we were looking at getting a 2012 from the dealer auto auction through my dads dealer license. We have financing through an outside lender and had decided to go this route as we want a vehicle we can own outright within 2 years. That was our plan...

WELL - we have the opportunity to purchase a 1 owner 2008 Kia Sedona with very low miles - the price is so low that we would pay cash for it and would own it outright which would be great as that budgeted car payment could then be used toward paying off our cc debt.

I was born and raised in the car business so I know we are getting a great deal so the price does not concern me but I am concerned about reliability, maintenance etc. Maybe this comes from working for Toyota and having it drilled in my head to stay away from Kia for so long *rollseyes* .

ADS

otto

My only experience has been with our Kia Soul. We have a 2010, so the first year that model was made. We've owned it for just under 3 years, put 55k on it, and have so far changed the oil on a (mostly) regular basis and put new tires on it about 10k ago. Never seen the inside of a shop otherwise, and it still runs great. Brakes are getting a bit squeaky, so that will happen soon, as is expected given the mileage.

We are pretty hard on our vehicles, but the interior has held up fairly well; no stains, just wear on some plastic trim areas. Car has been stored outdoors most of it's life, no visible wear on the exterior either.

MPG is a bit below EPA estimates, but I think that tends to be true across the Kia lineup. Automatic transmission is a bit choppy, but I heard they improved it in the newer models. I figure it's what we get for buying a super cheap car in the first place.

Overall, we've been extremely happy with it, and would buy another Kia without thinking twice. HTH.

Mary_Ann

I did a quick search in french, since Kia sells a lot here in Québec. It looks like the 2006-2009 years-models should be avoid. Many troubles are reported and it doesnt get the announced mpg. I'll try to translate what i found later if you want!

jjordan

We've had our sedona only since April 2012, but we've put a lot of miles on it (I think it's around 64k now, total) and absolutely no problems. From what I've heard, 2006 and newer is good for reliability.

SavsMom

Thanks for the info.

Looks like the Kia is a no go - which is fine. We now have yet another option open to us *head spinning*. I just want to find a car, turn my lease in and be done with this.

SavsMom

tl01 said:
What is the new option?

2007 Ford Freestyle Ltd with only 41k. :)

I should add that all of these are at the dealer auction. This one in particular is in excellent condition - its one of those odd ball vehicles that will either sell low since its not hugely popular or it will go high just due to the low miles and condition.
We could get this for cash as well - no loan - based on what it should sell for.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC