2 boosters to fit with Chicco Keyfit 30 in 06 Prius?

U

Unregistered

I have a 5 yo and 4yo, both 45lbs and am expecting baby #3. I need to fit all three kids in the back of my 2006 Prius. We currently have a Britax convertible, Britax high back booster and a Chicco Keyfit 30 infant seat with base. I'm looking to buy 2 new boosters that will fit with the Chicco infant seat but want my kids to be comfortable and safe. I'm not interested in the bubble bum or harmony based on the negative reviews I've read. I've seen other posts about the Radians which appear to now be Diono? Any suggestions? Thanks!

ADS

emntheboys

The Graco Turbobooster and Recaro Vivo are relatively narrow boosters that fit a variety of kids well. It might have to be trial and error to find something that works. Also you'll probably have to scoot the seat out, buckle, and scoot it back in.

Edited to add- I just saw one of your kids is 4. Generally most kids aren't ready for a booster until the are 5 or 6. A Radian would be an appropriate choice for that child and then it could be passed down to baby when the Keyfit is outgrown.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Just FYI- in such a tight three across, you'll probably find that buckling boosters is very difficult! I'd highly recommend harnessing as long as possible for that reason- it will make your life easier.

Paul

Hi I have the same question... I have an 07 Prius (same size)

We have a Chico Keyfit with base (for newborn daughter) and a Graco Nautilus (for 4 year old son) both currently installed via latch outboard on either side... which leaves negligible space in the middle...

BUT we want to make room for either a friend's Graco Turbobooster or another adult... so that (probably) means moving the Chico to the center and getting a different, narrower booster (with harness) for our son.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a narrow harness booster which would fit with the Chico in the center? I saw the Evenflo Securekid 300 on Amazon but wasn't sure it would squeeze in...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi, Paul! I'd look at the Harmony Defender 360, probably, but if you want to start a post with more detailed info on your situation including your son's size, others might have better ideas. :) It's likely a TurboBooster will still be difficult to buckle; you may want to look into narrower boosters as well, depending on the age of the child in question. :)

Paul

Hi, Paul! I'd look at the Harmony Defender 360, probably, but if you want to start a post with more detailed info on your situation including your son's size, others might have better ideas. :) It's likely a TurboBooster will still be difficult to buckle; you may want to look into narrower boosters as well, depending on the age of the child in question. :)

Thanks for the suggestion- my son is about 40 inches- he outgrew a Graco MyRide 65 earlier this year, hence us buying the Nautilus.

His best friend has two TurboBoosters (I think that's what it is, anyway) and my wife says they've put the Chico in the middle (possibly without the base) and the Turboboosters either side when they have been out together. We just need to buy my son something we can keep in there so we have a third outboard space for either his friend (who is 5, and her seat) or an adult.

Do you think the Harmony is narrower than the Evenflo? Is a Radian even narrower than both of them? (I was hoping to find something cheaper after what we've spent so far this year on car seats!)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Defender is wider at the base than the Radian but is not much wider if at all at widest point. Definitely a bit narrower than the SecureKid, and under $100.

The Turbo should fit but may be difficult to buckle. There are several cheap-ish boosters that might make buckling easier if needed. :)

You might find that putting the forward-facing seat center works better, too, depending on how seats ”puzzle.”

Paul

I was browsing the Consumer Reports ratings and they like the Evenflo Big Kid- no harness but they measure at 16" wide... does anyone have this model and like it?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC