Why is turning them so freakin hard?

djma

I have told myself from the beginning with DD that my goal is 4. We made it to right before 3 with DS2 (outgrew the EFTA rf weight), so I wanted to get further.

Well, DD will be 4 this Sunday and I am dreading it. She is in headwise 70 with loads of room to go, both height and weight wise. She is around 37" and 30 lbs dressed.

I know it will cut down on the drama in the car between her and her brothers (she's the instigator).

I know it will be easier to buckle her in dresses.

I know it will be nicer to be able to scoot the driver's seat back so DH can drive.

I know she's 4 and no matter her size, her bones are 4.

But good grief, I really didn't think I would be sick over it. LOL

DH has been awesome about this and really wouldn't care if I said I changed my goal to 5.

Just needed to whine/vent for a minute. :p

ADS

jnamommy

I totally get where you are coming from. I turned ds1 way too soon because I didnt know better. I set a goal of 3 with dd. She is a total peanut, so I decided 4 would be better. 4 came and went.....and she was still a peanut so I just got rid of my goal and decided to keep her RFing with no goal in mind. She is now 5...and starting Kdg in a few weeks. She rides FFing in one vehice, and RFing in the other 2. I will need to turn her soon bc ds2 needs her seats, but....it's not easy. I don't like change....lol.....and she's happy....

cookie123

I know. I felt the same when I had to turn Matthew at 3.5. He just seemed so little to forward face! Then it turned out he could have rear faced another 6 months if I hadn't been freaking out about his weight.

bnsnyde

Wow my 2 YO is taller and heavier, lol! And he was just 2 April 11.

Not even sure he'll get to age 3...We'll have to see how the shell height thing goes.

Good job at RF so long!

HappyHoo

It's hard for me too - both times I had to turn DD due to her outgrowing her seats RF at 2y6m and 2y11m. With DS, I got bigger seats - so he turned at 3y3m in one car and is still RF in my car so far/

My DS also turns 4 on Sun and he will still be RF that day, but will probably turn him FF in both cars the next week or so. But then, my reasoning for this week is we're going on a trip - and we're going on another one the first week in Aug, so maybe I keep him RF in one car until then. Or put him in the Frontier harnessed for that trip to help with head slump when sleeping.

I don't have much choice about turning my DS though - he's very close to the RF limits of his XTSL so that does make it "easier".

djma

I will probably turn her Monday. I leave for Florida on Tuesday and while I trust my husband to install seats....it's a Frontier80 needing the long belt path install in my van. So, I would rather have it done before I go. LOL

And yep, she's a peanut. :D

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I put it off until Maggie was BEGGING... 4 years 3 months... The only thing that made it better was putting a rear-facing seat in for the baby. ;)

Jessica61624

I have struggled with turning also. My son is 3.5 and has almost outgrown the radian rf. He's been on and off ff since Feb when he turned 3

rachelandtyke

yeah, I'm going to have to turn DS in the coming months. He's at 32 lbs and all our seats rf to 35 lbs. I turned DD1 at 4y4m, so I'd like to make it as long. I think he will turn when either he outgrows the RA50 rfing or DD2 outgrows the KF30 and needs the RA50.

blackberry

I feel the same. DD with be 4 in August she is 36" and 33lbs. My goal was 2 that came and went new goal 3 that came and went new goal 4 now that is fast approaching so new goal is when she outgrows her seat.
I just bought a Frontier 90 cover for a Frontier I have yet to order because I am having a hard time facing the fact that DD is almost ready to FF.

scoutingbear

I'm with you. My kid (3 next week) has outgrown 3 different seats by height RFing. And I just bought another radian to keep her RF in dh's car. :eek: I think I finally came up with a solution for my parent's cars as well that will keep her RF almost all the time unless she has to ride in their c-max.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC