Bad info at Disney

vamom

So I just got back from the World, and did a tour of the vacation club. They sent a van for us and asked if we would need a seat. Apparently each van is equiped with a child seat, and my first van had two alpha omega things. They were installed tightly and tethered. When I went to place ds in the seat, the driver asked his age. I said 4, then he replied that it is illegial in Fl to place a child over 4 in a car seat. WTF? I said, "Excuse me?". He was very adament that Fl law states that all children 4 or over must use a seat belt. I informed him that I would follow best practice, and use the seat. Well ds was too tall (way too tall) for the harness, so I used it as a booster (only the second time in his life). He said Fl did not have a booster law and that ds needed to be in the regular seat. I insisted booster, and he begrudgling let us go. I tried to make conversation about our knew VA law, and best use, but he didn't care.

I just worry about less informed parents listening to him.

Van # 2 (return) had one seat driver side tethered to passenger side - is that ok? The second seat did not have a tether.

Oh - I also saw a ton of cars eats being checked as baggage and at the gate. Ugh.

While I was at the counter, a family came with booster for older child and car seat for toddler. They wanted know what was safest for their kids on the plane. The agent looked at them like they were crazy, then said if you really want to I guess you can take them on the plane, but you don't need them, oh yeah, that was after she asked if the kids had their own seats. So I butt in and let them know that the booster should not be used on the plane, but that they should use the carseat for the younger child.

You know I had heard that they were cracking down on the how lap child age thing, but I also some mighty big kids as lap kids. Screaming, standing lap kids. Ds had to wear ear plugs and noise cancelling headset to drown out the screams...

ADS
Wow-- how sad that his interpretation of the law was so inverted! Yes, FL law says children under age 4 MUST use a safety seat, but nowhere does it make it illegal for a child over age 4!!! :mad: I would definitely call the hotel/facility and make a complaint, not so much to actually complain, but so as to let them know that their employees need a little more solid info/training on driving their youngest guests safely.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We just got back too, how funny! We are DVC members though already (well, mom is and I get it when she dies, lol). I'm sorry the drivers are stupid. We met a family in the airport in ATL w/ kids the exact same age as ours, down to the month for 2 of them, and none of them had carseats on the plane. They probably thought we were crazy when we pulled up w/ our double stroller and 3 carseats! ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC