Thinking about getting CPS certification

Lillian

I was bragging to my husband about how I just installed my Marathon with no sweat or blood! LOL! I usually cut my hand on the seat belt at some point, hense the blood! Anyway, he told me I should get certified to be a CPS. I had never really thought about it, but I know I would enjoy it! So, I read up on it and saw that I have to take a course and some tests. Are they difficult? I dont want to go through the whole course just to have to take it over b/c I didnt know what I was doing! Also, what happens once I am certified? Can I start to work with SafeKids? I am guessing they dont get paid, right? I thought it was volounteer work.

Also, to the techs on here, what all do you do? Do you install seats with SafeKids? Do you do talks or anything else? I said if all else faisl, i would love to have it just so when someone says "Well, how do you knwo whats better/safer?" I can say "I am a certified carseat tech!" :D (yes, i am such a dork!)

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
So, I read up on it and saw that I have to take a course and some tests. Are they difficult? I dont want to go through the whole course just to have to take it over b/c I didnt know what I was doing!

No, the tests aren't really super hard or anything. But hey, even if you did go and failed obviously you'd learn more then you did before and if you fail, it's a good thing (means you aren't ready) but I can't really see many people failing to be honest.

Also, what happens once I am certified? Can I start to work with SafeKids? I am guessing they dont get paid, right? I thought it was volounteer work.
Also, to the techs on here, what all do you do? Do you install seats with SafeKids? Do you do talks or anything else?

Yes some people do seatchecks with Safekids, I don't because they don't hold checks here but I do do seatchecks with other organisations. And yes, most of the work is voluntary and unpaid although you usually get a nice lunch and refreshments! Sometimes you might get paid, possibly, or you might get a gift voucher although I don't think that happens that often for most people. And yes a lot of techs do talks like with parenting groups or something, schools maybe etc..

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
So, I read up on it and saw that I have to take a course and some tests. Are they difficult? I dont want to go through the whole course just to have to take it over b/c I didnt know what I was doing! Also, what happens once I am certified? Can I start to work with SafeKids? I am guessing they dont get paid, right? I thought it was volounteer work.

Tests are easy. Or at least if you pay attention and you have been on here, so I am guessing that you know some stuff. We had cops come in that had no kids and had never touched a carseat before and they did great. I only volunteer. We actually have a great group where I live. We have a monthly carseat check about 30 minutes from where I live. We do it by appointments and it is slick. In the town I lived in last year I would have had to drive about 1 hour and 15 minutes to do it, so I only helped with one special event that was close by. When we lived in Omaha, Nebraska, I was on an e-mail list that would tell you when they were. They did them all over the state, so you could go whenever you could.

Also, to the techs on here, what all do you do? Do you install seats with SafeKids? Do you do talks or anything else? I said if all else faisl, i would love to have it just so when someone says "Well, how do you knwo whats better/safer?" I can say "I am a certified carseat tech!" :D (yes, i am such a dork!)

I have done a few talks, to mom groups. I give advice to my friends and family all the time. Not that they always listen. My nephew is 15 months and forward facing. EERR!
Stefanie

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
I'm finally doing it! My class starts next week. I'm so excited about it and it's funny b/c most people I know don't understand my excitement! My sister was even like, "Oh I heard you're becoming a car seat n*zi (I hate that word)." Can you believe that?

My philosophy is that if I can even save just ONE child's life by helping their parents install their seat correctly, I would seriously feel like Wonder Woman. I was joking around to my friend that techs should wear super-hero outfits at the seat check events! LOL! I guess it'd be hard to get parents to take me seriously if I had a Wonder Woman outfit on!!

I say GO FOR IT!! :D

Staci

CPS Technician
The great thing is that if you are taking the course now, it's open book and is actually 3 separate tests, so if you fail the first one, you don't have to go through the rest of the class. Makes it good to weed out folks who are just not ready to take the exams to not be struggling for all three days.

I do work with Safe Kids and recieve a stipend, but I also do work for other agencies as a volunteer. I am an instructor as well, so that makes it great for more rural locations and sign-offs.

nisi

Senior Community Member
So, I read up on it and saw that I have to take a course and some tests. Are they difficult? I dont want to go through the whole course just to have to take it over b/c I didnt know what I was doing!

Don't worry, I'm sure you'd do fine. I know I risk insulting someone with this, but with the current course, I don't see how anyone who is interested in the material and genuinely wants to pass could fail it (barring a learning disability, language barrier, etc.). There are 3 short quizzes, and they're open book. There are a few hands-on skills tests, but if you can properly install your own kids' seats, and you find yourself noticing bad installs walking through the WM parking lot, you'll be fine for those too. :)

Also, what happens once I am certified? Can I start to work with SafeKids? I am guessing they dont get paid, right? I thought it was volounteer work.

It varies region to region. Most techs who aren't doing it as part of their job don't get paid, but some areas have the funds to give techs a stipend. :thumbsup: I suggest you contact your closest Safe Kids coalition and get more information. It might also be a good idea to volunteer at a check before you're certified. There's always something for non-techs to do, like directing traffic, keeping an eye on kids, filling out paperwork, etc., and it would give you a better idea of what you'll be doing once you're certified.

If you decide to go for it, good luck (not that you'll need it)! We can always use more good techs!

ignora

Senior Community Member
I was joking around to my friend that techs should wear super-hero outfits at the seat check events! LOL! I guess it'd be hard to get parents to take me seriously if I had a Wonder Woman outfit on!!

I'm dying of laughter right now... the picture in my head... :ROTFLMAO:

Don't worry, I'm sure you'd do fine. I know I risk insulting someone with this, but with the current course, I don't see how anyone who is interested in the material and genuinely wants to pass could fail it (barring a learning disability, language barrier, etc.).

:yeahthat: It's pretty easy if you know anything at all about car seats. I just got certified at the end of August and I was really nervous... but there was really no reason to be. It's actually probably TOO easy... but that's another thread... :whistle:

waterbaby

Oh, I'm getting so excited!!! Only a few more weeks for my class... and then I can report on it for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC