Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Install tether anchor in 1999 Mercedes ML320?

Hi

My daughter's just about ready to move into a booster seat and we'd love to get one of those with the 5 point harness, but most of them seem to require the top tether. Our car (1999 Mercedes ML 320 SUV) doesn't have an anchor for this. I'm trying to find out if its possible to retrofit one and if so what part number is required. Can anyone help? The local dealer doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about

Thanks

Karen

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Install tether anchor in 1999 Mercedes ML320?

Hi there.

Your daughter is moving to a combination seat (harness to booster) or a booster seat (seat without an integrated harness)? In the US there are very few that require top tethers, but it's highly recommended. Your daughter is rear facing now? How old and heavy is she?

Someone with a LATCH manual will be along shortly. Mine is MIA during my recent move or I'd help you out myself.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 53", 92#, Nuna Aaces, Chicco KidFit
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

Unregistered

Thanks for the reply.

She's 4 1/2 and about 40 lbs. She is currently in a forward facing seat (without a top tether - hadn't realised the possible safety issues with this until I started investigating bootster seats).

We're looking for a combination seat (the one we liked the look of is the Britax Frontier 90 which recommends using the top tether). She seems a bit small to us yet (she's short for her age) to put in one of the seats without an integrated harness but as she is at the weight limit of her current seat we have to get something else.

Karen

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

The LATCH manual doesn't list the ML320 as retrofittable with a top tether anchor, unfortunately, and here's what it states about pre-2000 model year Mercedes built before Sept. 1, 1999 which is very discouraging and basically saying it cannot be retrofitted: "There are no provisions (e.g., drill dimples, holes) in U.S. Mercedes-Benz vehicles manufactured before 9/1/1999 (other than those models listed below, and the ML320 isn't a listed model) for tether anchors. Retrofit kits are not available. Mercedes-Benz does not recommend retrofitting these vehicles with any generic anchor kit, including those provided by specialty child restraint manufacturers. Due to the way Mercedes-Benz vehicles are manufactured, tether anchor installation in certain vehicles would require expensive steps, such as removing the rear window."

Now if by some chance you're in Canada and have a Canadian market Mercedes (or for Canadians who are lurking and wondering since Canada requires top tethering forward facing harnessed carseats), the LATCH manual states: "Canadian vehicles: Tether anchors have been factory-installed since 1986. Canadian and U.S. part numbers are the same."
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

The Graco Nautilus is known to perform well without the top tether. That is probably the seat I would use in a situation where a tether retrofit was not an option.
    DS1 3.24.10 riding in a Frontier 90 in booster mode and a Cybex M-Fix.
    DS2 1.18.14 rear facing in a Foonf and a Fllo.

Unregistered

Thank you so much for looking this up. Its not the answer I hoped for (we're not in Canada unfortunately) but at least we now know we need to look for an alternative seat.

Karen

Unregistered

Thanks for the suggestion, Monica. I'll look into that