Booster and Locking Belts

bakinlove

Curious about booster use here. We have started to let my son ride in his maestro as a booster for relatively short trips. He is doing well, but I am concerned about this when my DH buckles him. When I buckle him I do not lock the seatbelt, when DH buckles him he pulls the belt ALLLLLLL the way out so that it locks and you can hear the ratcheting sound as it retracts. I feel like this isn't how the belt is supposed to be used with the booster but we already have so many issues with seat use and installation I wanted to check before I said something. So, basic question, is it ok to lock the belt or not?
Thanks!

ADS

featherhead

Check your vehicle and carseat manuals. Some prohibit locking the belt when a booster is used. I'm not familiar enough with the Maestro to know if it is allowed or not.

YinzerMama

I never thought about if it was OK but it is super uncomfortable for the kid. I have known people to do it to "encourage" a kid to stay sitting properly if they keep moving all around and it tends to work really quick. My oldest accidentally locked himself in playing with the belt and was not happy with it. I have also heard of people doing it to add support for sleep and prevent flopping. I always just buckle as I would buckle myself. Does your child complain when it is locked?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Some vehicles actively forbid it; some do not.

While I'll do it very short term while booster-training a kid or as a stop-gap at a clinic for a very young booster rider, I am very uncomfortable doing it all the time. The reason is that reputable testing has shown that it increases the risk of ”submarining” to lock the belt on a boostered and/or belted rider. The belts are designed to allow the torso to rotate forward a little as the belt locks, and when that can't happen the hips are more likely to slip under the belt, leading to spinal and/or internal crush and/or pelvic injuries from the lap belt now being malpositioned.

Therefore, I highly recommend explaining to your husband that this will increase the risk of injuries and should not be done, and teaching your son not to do it.

I used to lock the belt on myself for comfort but since this information was given to me I've stopped.

tiggercat

Some vehicles actively forbid it; some do not.

While I'll do it very short term while booster-training a kid or as a stop-gap at a clinic for a very young booster rider, I am very uncomfortable doing it all the time. The reason is that reputable testing has shown that it increases the risk of ”submarining” to lock the belt on a boostered and/or belted rider. The belts are designed to allow the torso to rotate forward a little as the belt locks, and when that can't happen the hips are more likely to slip under the belt, leading to spinal and/or internal crush and/or pelvic injuries from the lap belt now being malpositioned.

Therefore, I highly recommend explaining to your husband that this will increase the risk of injuries and should not be done, and teaching your son not to do it.

I used to lock the belt on myself for comfort but since this information was given to me I've stopped.

Do you happen to have any citations or links to this testing? I've read about it before, but would like to read the studies themselves :) thanks!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I only have a summary from an agency that conducted it, from the CPSPList. I believe I have quoted it before but I can try to find it again? Which research center it was slips my mind right now but it was a place I respect as reputable.

creideamh

University of Michigan Transportation Institute. :) I don't think we ever found the actual study & subsequent data, just their summary of what they found.

Athena

but it is super uncomfortable for the kid.

:yeahthatsad: For this reason, I cringe every time I hear about this and will never do it. It's not like a harness that is kept at a consistent tightness because a locked belt is trying to retract more. If my belt locks momentarily, it bugs me a lot. If someone locked the belt on me, I'd be trying to figure out how to escape, but maybe it's just me.

P.S. But I don't even start with boosters until at least 6.

bakinlove

Thank you all for the replies, I felt like it was a not great practice but wanted to get some other opinions before I started the conversation (and subsequent nagging).

Athena- I would rather he stay harnessed longer but with his size and our budget it just is not a reality. DH would have him in a lbb in a heartbeat if I would allow it, and was not impressed when I purchased a defender to use in our primary vehicle. He uses the maestro in booster mode for short rides on low speed roads maybe 1-2x a week.

Athena

Athena- I would rather he stay harnessed longer but with his size and our budget it just is not a reality. DH would have him in a lbb in a heartbeat if I would allow it, and was not impressed when I purchased a defender to use in our primary vehicle. He uses the maestro in booster mode for short rides on low speed roads maybe 1-2x a week.

I hope it didn't sound like I was criticizing your decision to booster. I said that I harness longer more as a disclaimer that my perspective might be somewhat biased or different because of that, not that everyone should do that. :)

bakinlove

Athena, I didn't take it as a criticism, but my own misgivings about boostering cause me to defend my decision, even with no alternatives :) Of course I "defend" myself here for boostering to early and I DEFEND myself with friends and relatives over not boostering him full time and for RFing my 2.5 y/o still. Hope that makes sense, I was certainly not offended by your remark.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC