Why is the Bubblebum rated for 15 kg in the UK and 40 lbs here?

bigteamug

I was browsing on their UK sites, and then the Belgian one when I saw - why is the Bubblebum rated for 15kg (33 lbs) in the UK/Europe and 40 lbs minimum here? Is it different test results, different gov't standards? Or was the company trying to do like Britax and encourage better seat use here, but not pushing as hard in Europe?

I do know that outside of Sweden, most of Europe is more lax on carseat use, and they FF and booster younger than we do, in general. It is slowly improving, though.

:confused:

ADS

_juune

I was browsing on their UK sites, and then the Belgian one when I saw - why is the Bubblebum rated for 15kg (33 lbs) in the UK/Europe and 40 lbs minimum here? Is it different test results, different gov't standards? Or was the company trying to do like Britax and encourage better seat use here, but not pushing as hard in Europe?

I do know that outside of Sweden, most of Europe is more lax on carseat use, and they FF and booster younger than we do, in general. It is slowly improving, though.

:confused:

I'd say that the Euro one being rated from 15 kg is because there is no choice of weight limits because of the mass group system. Group 2 is 15-25kg and group 3 is 22-36kg, booster seats are usually group 2-3 thus 15-36kg. I'm not sure it's even possible to certify a seat to group 3 only anymore, I've never seen one; and 22kg lower limit would kinda be very high anyway.

bigteamug

Hmm. So it has to go into a slot in the EU, and that's the one it fits. I wonder, then, why they opted for a 40 lb minimum for the US. I thought they had tested it with a 3 year dummy here as well as the others....

I'm trying to fatten up DD2 - she is lingering at 38 lbs. I do wish there was a more common sense way to do the labeling - I do think that generally, there is more concern with a 41 pound 3.5 year old being boostered than a 38 lb 6 yr old - there are less seats available for those of us with string bean kids to choose from.

mping

I'm dying for my 5.5 yo to get to 40 lbs so I can buy another bubble bum for him for travel! He's currently harnessed in a Frontier and will likely stay that way until he is 40lbs which at his rate won't be before he's 8 probably! But our Harmony NBB starts at 30lbs. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC