Help - Rear Facing Convertible on Plane

May.G

We are flying from Houston to Seattle in a couple of months and I need a travel convertible for DS. He's 13.5 months right now, 32.5" and 26lbs. And it would be great if I could also use the seat to ERF DS in DH's car.

I was considering the SureRide but I was not all that impressed with it. I'm iffy on the Scenera and Complete Air because I don't want to have to deal with a difficult install on the plane and in the rental car.

I currently have a Radian that I'm debating traveling with because of it's shell height - I'm worried it will disgruntle the passenger that ends up sitting in front of DS. I did pay for the upgraded "premium" seats, or whatever they call it, that have more leg room though...I don't know if that makes a difference?

Do I have any other options?

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I hear reports that with an angle adjuster a rear facing radian will work on many planes (you'll need a belt extender to prevent headaches.)

What didn't you like about the SureRide? I don't find any of those seats super difficult to install in most vehicles.

The passenger in front doesn't have a right to recline, but if it makes the way smoother you can apologize if they get disgruntled that the child's SAFETY seat prevents it and offer to buy a drink in apology.

You can also consider having your husband sit in front of the seat if he's going along.

May.G

I guess the SureRide just didn't feel as substantial as the Radian or the ProRide and the sides seem to be pretty high which is a problem I'm having with the ProRide.

I was thinking of getting the Classic Marathon or a Roundabout. My concern with those other than leg room, is that it is a general consensus that these will not last very long for toddler's on the tall side for RFing but Britax states a max overall height of 49" whereas the SureRide has a max overall height of 40" - so would a SureRide really last longer?

monica-m

CPST Instructor
The rear facing height limit on the SureRide is 40", not the overall height limit. It has 19" top harness slots making it the tallest seat on the market other than the Britax Frontier. The SureRide has got more than 2" more torso height than a Britax convertible which should be at least a couple years worth of typical growth.

squishles10

As soon as my DS was over 1 and met weight limits, he FF on planes. Yeah, I get that possibly we could hit another plane on the runway, but dealing with uninformed airline staff and angry passengers that can't recline was just too much. He's now 3 1/2 and still RF, so it's not that I'm all about FF early, just in that situation. We always RF in rental cars off the plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC