Choosing between a convertible or an infant seat for a newborn

U

Unregistered

Hello,

I've lurked around these forums (well before I got pregnant) and I have gathered useful information. I am now in the process of trying to decide what carseat to by for my first child due in December. I know from reading that the safest seat for a child is one that fits them and the car well. I waffle back and forth between getting an infant seat or going straight to a convertible. I lean more towards getting a convertible because I would have to buy less car seats, overall. If I went with an infant seat I would probably want to go with a SR35 but I'm concerned that it won't fit in my car (2011 Kia Soul) or my husband's (2008 Honda Fit). I'm interested in either the True Fit or MyRide 65 as a convertible as I hear they fit newborns well. But again I am worried about the front to back space with the convertibles at a full 45 degree angle. What do you think is our best choice before we start going out and trying seats in the cars.

ADS

jmbullet

The true fit has a pretty short shell when you remove the headrest, however afaik it only rearfaces to 35 lbs, so a SR 35 could be an equally great choice. I have installed both a true fit without the headrest and a snugride 35 in the back of my 2004 hyundai accent and they both fit well there. I'd advise you to go with a SR 35 for convenience and when the baby outgrows it you could try a radian with the angle adjuster. It barely fits in my accent though, but I still managed to get a tight, secure install.

nannykates

I would look at a snug ride click connect 35 if you go the infant seat route-it seems to fit better in smaller cars (to which I am no stranger as my family has a fit, golf, civic and I drive the big car with an accord). Though there are plenty of choices!

The chicco nextfit seems like a very nice from-birth convertible, with the graco mysize/headwise/size4me, and britax convertible seats also being contenders and the evenflo sureride and cosco scenera as budget options.

Would you be buying 2 seats right away if you go convertible? Would you want them the same or more of a primary/secondary situation?

Congratulations! And just a reminder to rear face as long as possible :)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would look at a snug ride click connect 35...

...chicco nextfit seems like a very nice from-birth convertible, with the graco mysize/headwise/size4me, and the evenflo sureride...
\le :)

Sadly none of those seats are available (yet) in Canada :(

The Click Connect is coming in the fall, we hope. The Graco MySize and clones may not ever make it here, and the SureRide is coming too at some point. The NextFit is supposed to be coming but no timeline just yet.

I'd throw in the Evenflo Tribute rather than the Scenera as a budget contender. It has a much longer lasting rear facing height limit (37" versus 32") and is similarly priced.

jnamommy

Your baby is due in December? How cold is it where you live? Something to consider is if it would be more convenient for you to get baby in the carseat and cover them before going out to the vehicle during the winter months.

Last edited:

MommyShannon

I used a convertible for our 4th (a Britax Marathon). It worked great, but she was a summer baby and I wore her a lot since I had other kids to corral. In winter in a cold climate, I'd probably go with an infant bucket. It's just easier to keep the baby bundled in a bucket to get in and out. Kids can't wear heavy coats when buckling so its a lot of bundling and unbundling getting in and out of a convertible. Also, True Fits (which I love and my kids use too) don't fit all newborns. The straps are kind of wide.

nannykates

Sadly none of those seats are available (yet) in Canada :(

The Click Connect is coming in the fall, we hope. The Graco MySize and clones may not ever make it here, and the SureRide is coming too at some point. The NextFit is supposed to be coming but no timeline just yet.

I'd throw in the Evenflo Tribute rather than the Scenera as a budget contender. It has a much longer lasting rear facing height limit (37" versus 32") and is similarly priced.

Oops missed the canada part! Sorry!

U

Unregistered

I live in Vancouvet so winter is wet but not usually very cold.

Can anyone give me the front to back measurement if the Snugride 35?

I looked at a myride 65 today and I think it might fit.

Thank you all for your help.

bbartlettnfld

I bought a Sung Ride 35 for my Brother in Law, it fits fine in their Nissan Versa, but my Bro and SIL are both short. It was in the centre first, then we moved it passenger outboard as it was heavy for my SIL to "toss" into the centre.

katymyers

I had a Graco Snugride 32 (which is the same shell as the 35, so same size) when my oldest was born. We put that in the back seat of a 2002 Honda Civic 2-door coupe. I was scared to death before my son was born that no car seat would fit and it turned out to be fine, I didn't even have to move the seat forward from where I usually had it.

featherhead

I live in Vancouvet so winter is wet but not usually very cold.

Can anyone give me the front to back measurement if the Snugride 35?

I looked at a myride 65 today and I think it might fit.

Thank you all for your help.

A snugride35 will fit before a MyRide. Remember the seats must be fully reclined for a newborn. Also, what was the infant insert like for the MyRide? The ones with just a head support and butt pad are not great for newborns. If it was one with the full body support, then it should be fine.

MommyShannon

If you do want to skip it, I'd look at the Britax convertibles. There is a separate infant wedge you add (pretty cheap) that makes it fit newborns really well. They also fit well and small places. The wedge adjusts the angle inside the seat, so the actual seat doesn't have to be as reclined. The drawback is Britax convertibles aren't as tall as some other seats so it might be outgrown sooner than you're ready to turn forward facing. I think the height limit on them in Canada is shorter too. I love them for newborns and little kids though.

Mary_Ann

I think the height limit on them in Canada is shorter too. I love them for newborns and little kids though.

My 2010 advocate is rated 5-40 lbs rf and 1" under shell. FF it goes to 65lbs and top of ears under the shell/49" max.

I would'nt skip the carrier just for a money issue. I found it SO convenient:
- Easy to take in and out of the car without waking up the baby.
- Although baby should not be in for hours, it gives you a place to put him when you cant/ don't want to hold him ( visiting friends, etc)

Maybe you can buy à cheaper carrier, or borrow it to a friend?

katymyers

This is true in the US, but in Canada, the new Evenflo's require the handle to be forward, above the child's feet. This gives several inches more room.

The US versions of the Embrace 35 also allow this position to be used for the handle. We see this seat a lot in the NICU since its so cheap and goes to four lbs and having the handle forward makes a big difference.

featherhead

The US versions of the Embrace 35 also allow this position to be used for the handle. We see this seat a lot in the NICU since its so cheap and goes to four lbs and having the handle forward makes a big difference.

Ok, for some reason I thought it still had to be down in the US. I must have been thinking of the Peg.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC