Need Help with Frontier in an Odyssey

U

Unregistered

I have a Frontier that I bought a few years ago. I was never truly happy with the way I used to have it installed, so haven't used it for several years. Now I need it again for my 6 y.o. DS.

I'm trying to install it in one of the captain's chairs in an '09 Odyssey. I can't get a tight fit with the short belt path OR the long belt path. It seems snug, but then I pull the seat to the side, and it starts slipping all over. Also, the front of the seat seems to overhang the vehicle's seat by quite a bit.

I tried LATCH, and was able to get it to be much more secure (although it still slides around a bit). My DS is 44 lbs, so isn't he technically over the LATCH limit? I find that limit online but NOT in my Odyssey owners manual!

Can I use LATCH and the seat belt together?

(I have quite a bit of experience installing car seats and have been able to get excellent installations with a Marathon and a Nautilus.)

If anyone has any advice for me, I would very much appreciate it!

ADS
H

hazel888

Help Installing Frontier in an '09 Odyssey!

Duplicate post

Last edited by a moderator:

MotoMommaNH

I'll answer your questions first and then get you some help with install. :)

Your Honda has a 40lb LATCH limit. So yes, your child at 44lbs is over that and you need to use the seatbelt to install the Frontier. No, you can't use both the LATCH system and the seatbelt at the same time. The two systems could interfere with each other and cause more harm than good.

You don't want more than 20% overhang on the vehicle seat.

Make sure you are routing the Long belt path correctly...this video is SUPER helpful for when I'm doing LBP installs. The shoulder belt doesn't go along the red belt guide on the retractor side. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbZiOj4-LmA"]Britax Frontier 85 Harness-2-Booster Seat: Harness Mode Installation Using Lap/Shoulder Belt - YouTube[/ame]

I also found most helpful while pulling on the lap portion, and then feeding the retractor, to get inside the vehicle in front of the Frontier and pushing it back with my knees in the car seat. I hope that makes sense. Make sure you are using the top tether and tighten that down good as that can help you get a better install.

If you want to snap a pic and post it we can check the overhang for you and maybe a couple other things!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's ok for the front to hang off a bit. :) Did you recline the vehicle seat a little bit? That can help. (Not much, just a little- the most upright position actually leans FORWARD so that can cause problems.) Adjust the sliding seatbelt adjuster all the way down, I found that easier to work with... And push BACK with your knee while tightening as well as DOWN. I used LBP.

nannykates

I got a tight fit in an 08 with lbp and many of the above tricks. Pushing back with my knees and reclining and pushing it back up a notch are the best ones. I also position the front seat to give me leverage while pushing with my knees as well. Im pretty sure the neighbor boys have watched me put my fr85 in at least a dozen times and probably just wonder what posesses me to move it!

MommyShannon

Oh, and while its ok to have some overhang, I don't have any in the Ody. Like others said, I recline the seat a little then really push the FR into the back while tightening.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC