What do you consider lateral movement?

So, which is it?

• Total (two plus two equals four)

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Average (two to each side equals two)

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

Splash

The TOTAL side to side movement (2 inches to the left plus two onches to the right equals four inches), or the average side to side (2 to the right plus two to the left equals two)?

ADS

steph

I'm not a tech but I thought it was 1 inch of lateral movement?? Anyways, I always took that has 1 inch total movement (1/2 inch each side).

Dont' know if that helps.

Splash

I'm not a tech but I thought it was 1 inch of lateral movement?? Anyways, I always took that has 1 inch total movement (1/2 inch each side).
Dont' know if that helps.

Yeaj, it's only supposed to be one, but it was easier to use two as an example.

jdchic3

I never actually thought about it and before thinking about it logically I would have said 1" to either side, but to me it makes more sense that it would be 1" total movement. 1/2" to either side. I guess I need to go check the seats again now... ;)

southpawboston

i guess i don't really understand the question? i think maybe you're thinking there is some centered point of the seat and you can move it either direction from that center? but there is no way of knowing where that "center" point really is. so i believe the 1" rule means distance the seat can move from two extremes. meaning, you should get the same movement whether you move left or right. so two inches to the left = two inches to the right = two inches of total movement. it does *not* equal four inches of movement. so by your logic, i would have to say "average". but i visualize it much differently:

basically, my take on it is simple... pull the seat as far as you can toward you using the one hand rule. tick mark vehicle seat with a pencil or chaulk. then push seat in other direction as far as you can. measure distance that the seat has moved. 1" or less, okay. that 1" is accounting for movement on either side of whatever imaginary center you may think there is. i hope i made this simple?

LuvBug

for me it is that you pull it to one side, and the however much room it takes to move it to the other side is how much it is. So if from the center it moved .5" to either side, if you moved it to 1 specific time it would take 1 full to move it to the opposite side... does that make sense? lol!

LuvBug

basically, my take on it is simple... pull the seat as far as you can toward you using the one hand rule. tick mark vehicle seat with a pencil or chaulk. then push seat in other direction as far as you can. measure distance that the seat has moved. 1" or less, okay. that 1" is accounting for movement on either side of whatever imaginary center you may think there is. i hope i made this simple?

lol! I guess I had this window opened too long without refreshing, that is exactly what I was thinking.

Splash

Radian in the center of your boobaru? Eh, it's good enough, you're fine :)

ha ha ha ha you caught me ;)

Actually, it was a real question, too.

Yes, SPB, I was thinking that. If pushed as far to the right as possible, the lateral movement is however much it moves moving as far to the left as possible. So in which case if I started my seat rather centered, and jerked it one inch over, and then jerked it from the other side and it moved back to "center" and then another inch, that is two inches of total movement (two inches from extreme left to extreme right). So, would you consider that TWO inches, or one inch?

Splash

Okay, so would I. Just wanted to make sure I was on the same page as, uh... someone. :)

So the one inch rule is really pretty darn impossible to meet in most situations. IF that was two inches we just described. Because I'm pretty sure that most people would consider it only one inch, and thus acceptable, whereas I would not. Which might be why the lady at the firehouse the first time told me just to give up because I'd already done it way better than she ever would have...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
ha ha ha ha you caught me ;)

Actually, it was a real question, too.

Yes, SPB, I was thinking that. If pushed as far to the right as possible, the lateral movement is however much it moves moving as far to the left as possible. So in which case if I started my seat rather centered, and jerked it one inch over, and then jerked it from the other side and it moved back to "center" and then another inch, that is two inches of total movement (two inches from extreme left to extreme right). So, would you consider that TWO inches, or one inch?

That's one inch. (are you really measuring, or does it just 'kinda seem like it's moving an inch'? Dumb question, maybe, but oftentimes it's not moving really at all and it wiggles and that sure seems like an inch or more. Tried shelf liner yet?)

And PS to all, I may sound flippant, but I've heard first hand reports of Splash's seat installation efforts, I'm having a hard time believe it's really moving an inch :whistle:

StarrNanny

And PS to all, I may sound flippant, but I've heard first hand reports of Splash's seat installation efforts, I'm having a hard time believe it's really moving an inch :whistle:

I'm not sure what seat she's trying to install but I can tell you this, after being one of her best friends for seven years... I've never seen a seat she installed move anything... except the whole car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC