Installing a Radian on a plane

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I flew from WA to AZ on Southwest, and I had the MA RF by the window for my 6mo, and I had the Radian in the middle seat FF for my 2yo. The seat belt buckle was right in the middle of the seat, so it was right in the small of her back. Is there any way to avoid that? Should I use a belt extender last time?

ADS

jennsmile

The buckle while being in the middle of the seat should have laid in the belt path and not been pressing on her back as the foam comes up higher than the buckle.

Jenn

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper has never mentioned the buckle being in her back. One of the last times we flew she watched me install it and she freaked for a second. I thought she was going to be upset about the buckle. She wasn't, she just wanted the tail of the seatbelt tucked in.

In my car the buckle is behind her as well. It has never bothered her, or anyone else who has ridden in the seat. When I asked about it with my instructors the guy said that he would be worried about kidney damage. As there's a LOT of body between the buckle and the kidneys, not to mention part of the carseat, if we're in a collision severe enough to worry about her kidneys then I'll have other problems.

Wendy

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The buckle while being in the middle of the seat should have laid in the belt path and not been pressing on her back as the foam comes up higher than the buckle.

Jenn

Really? I don't see any other way it could have been. I have the 80 with the slits in the cover so I could see really well to feed the belt through and tighten, and I didn't see any other option. I did look, too, because it didn't see right that the buckle would be right there in the middle of her back :confused:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper doesn't have foam between her and the buckle. There's a thin piece of plastic and the cover. It still doesn't bother her, the buckle being on her side or directly behind her back.

Both of the Radians have the slits on the sides. They're the same seat, the 80 is just slightly more reinforced.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC