Question about tethering over the weight limit

Jackie010307

I have researched a lot and decided to continue tethering the frontier 90 dd rides in. She is 53lbs, so well over the 40lb limit in our odyssey. I know this is a parental decision, but I would like opinions on whether you would allow someone to sit in the 3rd row behind the frontier. My concern is if the tether breaks it may hit whoever is there. Is this something I should be concerned about?

ADS

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the tether breaking. Not at all. I'm not even a little bit concerned about that possibility and I've done a LOT of research on the subject.

Truthfully, Honda's tether anchor hardware is no different than Ford's tether anchor hardware and Ford (to their credit) doesn't impose arbitrary weight limits on something as important as a tether on a forward-facing carseat.

If the crash is so severe that the tether hook breaks or the anchor is ripped from the reinforced metal in the vehicle - then the least of your concerns is going to be a non-secured tether strap.

Just my :twocents:

Jackie010307

Thanks! I really wasn't worried about it until hubby brought it up, then it became one of those things you end up thinking to death! He wanted to rearrange everyone, which was about impossible to do and still give ds the space he needs. Currently he has the 3rd row to himself and that saves a lot of fighting in the car.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Your sanity is important too and needs to be considered when assessing the safety and well-being of everyone in the vehicle! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC