New carseat for a 5.5 year old...what to get? Help!

mama23boys

Hello!

My twin boys are 5.5, still riding in their Marathons. One of their seats expire this November and I'm trying to decide on what to get to replace it. My oldest son was in a Regent until he was almost 8 and I did like having him in a 5 point for so long. I know the Frontier is an option...but so expensive! Wondering about the Nautilus? Or if I should go the HBB route (prefer a 5 PT harness, though).

Any advice, recommendations?

Thanks so much!!!

ADS

Mommy!

Hi,

How heavy and how tall are your twins? Important to know when recommending a seat. :)

Also, are your children three across in your vehicle? If so, harnessed seats are easier to buckle than boosters.

mama23boys

Totally forgot their weights and heights. I'll post heights tomorrow. They are on the shorter side, usually in the 25th-30th percentile for their age.

They weigh 42-43 pounds. I'll need to measure them tomorrow, I can't remember how tall they were at their last check-up. They still have a decent amount of room in the Marathons. My car is the primary vehicle and it is a Toyota Sienna (2007). My oldest son is in an Evenflo Big Kid (still in HBB) in one capt chair, one MA is in other capt chair, and the other MA is in 3rd row.

In my DH's car they ride in Evenflo Triumph Advance seats that we bought in August 2009.

mama23boys

Ok, they are 43 and 43.5 inches tall.

Any suggestions? I've read some about the Evenflo Securekid 300 or 400. Is that a good option? I'd really prefer a 5pt harness for now. The other Marathon expires in January 2015, when they will turn 7.

Thanks!

Carolinadaisy

Yes, those are good harnessed booster seats, but it will depend on how tall their torsos are. The Securekid has a top harness height of 18". They also do not come with harness covers and bother some children's necks.

The Harmony Defender, which can be purchased only from Walmart, has an 18.5" top harness height and comes with harness covers. It is $99 and is a narrow seat.

The Britax Frontier 85 has top harness height of 19.5" and the Frontier 90 has top harness height of 20".

If you want to measure torso height, have them sit against the wall and measure from floor to top of shoulders. On average, you can expect 1" of torso growth per year for children that age.

mama23boys

Thanks!

Top harness height for the classic Marathon is 17 inches, right? They are currently just a tiny bit above the 2nd from top slot, so still a bit of growing room before they outgrow the 17 inch slots on the MA.

I will measure their torso length because that obviously will play into my decision.

How difficult is the Frontier 85 installation? The Regent was a beast with the incline bar and long and short belt paths, plus how darn big it was. But I still loved that seat for our oldest DS and he rode in it until he was a few months away from his 8th birthday. I'm not sure I can justify the expense of the Frontier 90 when there are no younger siblings who will use the seats and probably by the age of 7 or 8 the boys will want to be in a HBB.

Thanks for your help!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The frontier85 doesn't have a recline bar. It has a foot that you flip toward for harness mode. We had a husky (similar to regent) and it was much wider then the frontier85. You still have long and short belt path options.

You could check out the new britax pioneer. It's similar to the frontier, but has lower top slots and lower weight limit.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I'm really a fan of the Securekid. I find that most average sized 5yo have plenty of harness room. The adjustable booster mode wins over the maestro. The price can't be beat, especially when buying double. :)

cookie123

The Secure Kids are nice. I like that they are light and easy to deal with. My grandson rides in the 400. He's 5.5 and 44 inches/42 lbs. He doesn't have issues with the harness on his neck but I make sure his shirt is between him and the harness. He can buckle and unbuckle himself. It took a bit of practice, but I think he was a year younger when we got it.

mama23boys

Their torso lengths are 15 and 15.5 inches. Apparently pretty short torsos? No wonder they have a lot of harness space left in their Marathons! LOL.

I will start my hunt now, just rechecked the Marathon and it expires in August! Eek!

Does their torso length change anyone's opinions? I'm leaning towards the Securekid and the Harmony Defender. I'm not sure the Frontier or Pioneer is worth the cost at this point?

Keeyamah

Their torso lengths are 15 and 15.5 inches. Apparently pretty short torsos? No wonder they have a lot of harness space left in their Marathons! LOL.

I will start my hunt now, just rechecked the Marathon and it expires in August! Eek!

Does their torso length change anyone's opinions? I'm leaning towards the Securekid and the Harmony Defender. I'm not sure the Frontier or Pioneer is worth the cost at this point?

I don't think that is a very short torso myself. My older son wears a size 5 clothes and has a 15 1/4 inch torso, admittedly he is almost 4, but a big boy. With their age and size the Securekid or the Defender are good options to get them to a good booster maturity level. I've got a Frontier 85 that I may consider replacing with a 90 because I lose an inch or more of harness height when it's installed :(. But my son is much younger than your kiddos.

mama23boys

I just meant for their age, their torso length seemed shorter, which is just fine with me. :)

Going to try the Securekid, I think.

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC