What do YOU think?

4BabyUnit

Without this becoming a huge debate, I'd love to know what YOUR personal preferences or recommendations are for when it is appropriate to move from RF to FF and also when to move from harnessed seat to high back booster seat. Thanks for your input.

ADS

tiggercat

For my child, or someone else's child?

For my child, I feel they should stay rearfacing as long as they reasonably fit. For my youngest, that was 3y10 (outgrew RXT). I wanted to make it to 4, but I am ok with him FF now. I don't feel the need to buy a new seat or anything (not that there are many taller options, but..)

For harness to booster, until they outgrow all reasonable options or are truly mature enough to sit correctly. I guess my goal would be 6y and 50lb?

For other people's kids, I push RF to 2y and harness to 5 and 40+. I encourage longer, but it's rare that people are willing to do so.

ETA: I tend to have big kids with long torsoes, so I am usually forced to move to the next stage because they've outgrown seats. I might feel differently if I had smaller kiddos.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm happy when people make it to 2 rear-facing and 5 for booster. My personal ideal is longer, but I don't harp on others past that. (Well, I'd like to think I don't "harp" at all, but you know.)

BananaBoat

Minimally: RF til 2; harnessed til 5; boostered til 10 or 5 ft tall

Ideally (also for my own kids): RF til at least 4; harnessed til at least 6; boostered until passes the 5-step test in EVERY vehicle they are in

eduller

I personally believe in RF as long as humanly (and affordably) possible.

I think safety is paramount and something you cannot put a price on. When it comes to large metal objects hurtling toward each other at great speeds, you need to protect your child the best way you know how. You put that child in that car, so put them in there properly. There are so many things in life that are beyond your control, but this is a situation where a very simple thing can dramatically increase the odds of a good outcome in a disaster. I don't protect against every bump, scrape, bruise, but I take life or death very seriously.

That being said, we can only do the best we can do. I don't really think there is any excuse (barring extreme poverty, extreme sized child, medical issues, etc.) not to keep a child RF until 2. I do understand that there are cases where it just is not possible to purchase a new seat to replace an outgrown one.

I think the seat I have with the lowest RF limits should get my daughter beyond 3 1/2, and at that point and in that vehicle, where she rides very little, I will probably flip her when she outgrows it RF. I don't have an personal experience with the booster transition, so I don't really have an opinion beyond when the child can sit and fit correctly in a booster.

Brianna

I guess as of now I'm following NHTSA recs. I RF'd until 3 when his seat was outgrown by height RF and then I turned FF. I'm not sure if he'll still need to be harnessed to the upper limit of his Frontier 85 though- I think around age 5 or 6 he might be booster ready even if he still has some growing room in some of his harnessed seats.

4BabyUnit

Thanks for comments ...keep 'em coming! :)

DD was RF until just before she turned three, but I'm considering turning DS around a little sooner (not yet...but maybe when he's 2 1/2 and reaches 25lb.) b/c he's making life in the car hellish. He's currently almost 26 mo. I don't KNOW that it will solve the problem, and if it doesn't help considerably, I have NO problem turning him back RF even if he does fuss b/c quite frankly, I'm used to it. I REALLY would like to wait until we make it past this next winter b/c I really don't like these sketchy snowy roads where we are....lots of curves and up/down hill, few guard rails...eek. Don't like it, but I know it will be a loooong nine months until next spring.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
As far as our family rules, it's RF to 4 and then allow the child to choose which direction they want to face so long as we have a seat to accommodate that. DS will be turned in DH's car before that because he will max out the limit in his Como. Harnessing will be done until the child is mature enough to be a safe booster rider.
As far as what I recommend in check situations, I stress RF to a minimum of 2 but encourage them to go to the limits of the seat if possible. I then encourage them to harness to booster maturity and stress 4 and 40 lbs being an absolute minimum.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I suggest to parents to RF until as close to 4 as is reasonably possible, considering 2 the bare minimum. I explain to them why I offer up the recommendation to go longer and introduce the idea that there's no need to turn them at two just because of a birthday, because I don't see a reason to reduce their safety "just because."

There was a news story posted on here a while ago about a 2.5yo who had internal decapitation, so it doesn't magically "fix" at age two.

In my car, I am to at least 4, and then get "softer" on my stance through age 5.5 or 6. If kiddo outgrows what we have available (I had one who outgrew the Radian by weight at 3y11m, pre-Foonf,) then I harness until "kindergarten age," when I allow them to trial in a booster. I suggest "kindergarten age" to parents as well, as it often implies a degree of maturity... somewhere between 5 & 6. I do mention 4 & 40 as a base minimum, but again, I suggest not rushing them out if they are still fitting in a harnessed seat.

Then I HBB until they don't possibly fit any more. Of all the transitions, I am the least trippy about the harness-to-booster one, although I definitely like to see kids be at least 5, or more like six if they're petite.

CMeMeC

My 2.5 year old will be rear facing until his current seat is outgrown, which will likely be after his third birthday. I would like to see my friends kids rear face longer, but most turn them on their first birthday (if not before) and think I'm nuts and over protective. As for harness to booster, that's still new to me. My oldest moved to a full time booster about 6 months ago, around his sixth birthday. He was 48lbs and mature enough to handle it. My 5.5 year old has ridden in a booster, but remains harnessed most if the time and will for a while yet. She's only 35lbs and can't be trusted to sit still just yet (she has some behavioral issues). For most kids, I would say a booster is fine around 5 years old and 40lbs.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I agree that I recommend RF as long as possible, but I also understand that RF to age 4 is not always possible. If a parent has a 3yo who has outgrown his convertible seat (RF), and that parent either cannot or chooses not to purchase another seat, I wouldn't be upset and think that parent was negligent.

I would prefer to see (most) children harnessed to at least age 6, but understand that some kids are ready for booster seats earlier than that. Again, if a parent has a 5yo who has outgrown the harness on her seat, and that parent either cannot or chooses not to purchase another seat, I wouldn't be upset and think that parent was negligent.

My 5.5yo nephew just rode in a booster for a one-and-a-half-mile ride the other day, and I think it was great to have him try out using a booster. While he will remain harnessed for a while still, there may be a time during which only a booster is available. I'm glad he's learning how to ride in one safely.

maramarrie

I personally feel that my friends who don't keep their kids RF to at least 2 years are being careless. I would recommend keeping kids RF to at least age 3, but I don't know anyone IRL who has RF as long as we have. I personally don't want to turn my kids around until they've reached the max in their seats. DS made it to 4, and DD will probably go longer.

To go from harness to seat belt booster, I think the minimum should be age 5, maybe 6. My kids will probably be harnessed much longer than that.

carseatmama007

For others, I say the minimum (2 years) but stress the importance of doing it as long as possible. I consider it a "success" if they RF until 2 around here.

My personal preference for my child is 4 years old. Anything after that is just bonus time. DD is 4y6m and still RF because she's comfy & fits in the seat. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, ya know? :) Once she gets close to the limits of her seat (which I'm estimating to be around 5 yrs), I will go ahead and FF her.

As for harnessing- again, for others, I think it's good if they can at least wait until 4 yrs & 40 lbs. For me, it will be whenever DD weighs 40 lbs AND can properly sit in the seatbelt. I suspect around 6-7 years.

skylinphoto

For others, minimally, rf to 2..harness to 5... booster til 8.

For my own kids, rf to 4...harness to 5 or when theyre mature..booster til they 5 step or hit puberty.

I make small kids so, rfing to 4 was easy. I boostered my ds at 5-5.5. My dd is still too lightweight (and a bit too impulsive) for me to feel okay about having her in a booster still.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

NannyMom

For kids in my car (or my kids in any car): rear facing until 4, as long as they fit (I have an RXT). Harness until 5/6 and 40 pounds. High back booster until 8 (that's md law for no booster) Backless until they 5 step.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In my family we rf to 4 and harness to booster readiness, at least 6 and usually longer before full-time. For others I stress rf as long as possible, but at a minimum 2, and harnessing at least until school-age (5-6.)

Mysweethoneybee

My kids are far from normal size. So I rear-faced to 40lbs and now I know that my son was actually probably too tall for rear facing in the car because his head was even with the top of the car seat when I switched him forward facing. He wasn't yet 2 years old.
Then I kept him harnessed until past his 4th birthday but he outgrew the Regent we had by harness height in December after his 4th birthday.

If I had tiny kids I would like to rear face until at least 2 probably closer to 3. I would harness until age 5 or 6 or until they were a good size and maturity for a booster.

Athena

Minimally: RF til 2; harnessed til 5; boostered til 10 or 5 ft tall

Ideally (also for my own kids): RF til at least 4; harnessed til at least 6; boostered until passes the 5-step test in EVERY vehicle they are in

Ditto! My goals are very similar to this, if possible, but with my tall kids sometimes it's until they outgrow our options. That means we couldn't make it to 4 RFing, but my 6 1/2 yo is still harnessed in my car for a little bit longer.

Phineasmama

Both my older kids rear faced until nearly 4.

I am already itching to FF my youngest and she's not even two :rolleyes: She's super heavy and still growing like crazy, I won't be comfortable FFing her before 3, I would feel too guilty. But it just depends if she stays within the height/weight limit until then.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC