Regent apporpriate for a skinny, tall child...?

Mami

I have been torn between getting a Regent or Como/Signo for my 4 yr old dd who is 30 lbs (has been for a year...), 41" with a 14.5" torso.

I would like the seat I get her now to be her last harnessed car seat but I would also like it to last her as long as possible. I'm just not sold on the Regent even though I realize at present it is the seat that will last my child the longest considering she needs all the height she can get. What's all this I've been reading about the Regent being for obese kids? My daughter is the polar opposite of obese, lol. So, would the Regent even be appropriate for her? Would something more narrow be better for her? If so, what? Thanks for your help!

ADS

ZephyrBlue

My 4.5yo, 39" 29-30lb DD fits well in the Regent- you can see her here: http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/balessingo/lexiregent.jpg

That said, I put her in a Radian last week (and like an idiot, didn't take pics before I sent the seat back:doh:) and the seat fit around her body more closely than the Regent, because it's a more narrow, shorter seat.

I have a 47", 41lb 7yo who also rides in the Regent very comfortably.

I think it's a great seat for skinny kids, too.

lovinwaves

I personally will not be putting my kids in a Regent until they are MUCH older. My kids are peanuts, and I like a seat that "hugs" them and has deep sides. I like the Como because it seems to hug my kids on the sides, but not restrict them. They would be swallowed up by a Regent.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Here's my 5.5 year old DS in his Radian. He is 35lbs, 45in with a 16" torso...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/148/429820337_ac5667fbae.jpg?v=0

He's still got close to two inches before he reaches the top slots. I prefer the Radian because it has a low profile/no base so he has a lot more head room in the vehicle.

Of the two you mentioned, I would go with the Como. That should easily last your daughter a looonnngg time. :)

LuvBug

the higher weight limit seats arent for obese kids, they are for harnessing kids past the minimums. The regent not only has a higher weight, but it has higher top slots.
My 4yo DS is too tall in the torso for the marathon now, so he is in a regent for the height... he weighs 40lbs and is 43" or so, so definitely not obese ;) just tall.

What seat is she currently using?

keri1292

My dd is a little beanpole...stats in siggy...
Here she is in a Regent...
MAvsRegentHusky063.jpg

And in her brother's MA...
MAvsRegentHusky055.jpg

At this age, she's much better off in her Husky/Regent. She just started using it in April when the MA was starting to look more than snug in the shoulders. I also thought the Regent looks less like a "baby" seat than the MA. None of her friends are in anything more than a backless booster. :( I really love the looks of the Como, but part of me feels like it looks too babyish for a girl like mine who would fit in it until about 9. Safety isn't about outward appearances, but I feel that she's quite safe in the Regent as well.

Mami

Thanks everyone for your replies. I just don't know why I can't get sold on the Regent... I do get that it can be used for tall children fine but it just seems that if there was an accident, it doesn't have any structure that would cushion the impact since her head would be so far from the sides of the seat. Does that make sense or am I over-thinking this?

When it comes to the Como or Signo I'm just a little concerned because when I've seen pics of kids in the Como it looked like some kids who were my daughter's height had the tops of their heads even with the shell already. How can that last a long time...?

Ugh, I wish the Signo would come out already so at least I would have a full grasp of my options.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
As soon as my daughter could no longer ride RF, she preferred the Husky/Regent because of the seat depth for added leg support + the seat width so she could cross her legs, etc....

5yrs46in38lbsBritaxHuskyFordFreesta.jpg

4yr45-35HuskyFreestar.jpg

@ the beginning of 4 years old she was about 43" 33#
@ the end of 4 years old she was about 45" 35#

rebeccah5

As soon as my daughter could no longer ride RF, she preferred the Husky/Regent because of the seat depth for added leg support + the seat width so she could cross her legs, etc....

:yeahthat: My DD is 4.5 and is not overweight for her age but is on the tall side and she fits great in her Regent. She likes to cross her legs or prop up her feet frog-style and she has plenty of room for that. If you are putting it in a small car, I wouldn't really recommend it as it takes up half of the rear bench in my Town&Country and would swallow DS's Civic.

We tried DD in a Radian but I ended up taking it back. While it held her in more securely, the hips were so narrow I was afraid it would be uncomfortable for her long-term. Also the added height of the Regent was a plus for us, as I didn't think she'd get many years out of the Radian. HTH!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC