Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Britax Booster in Europe

I wonder if or when this will ever get to North America? Looks like Europe is ahead of us again as it always seems to be with kids stuff!

http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/ca...kidfix-xp-sict

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Britax Booster in Europe

Looks pretty similar to the Britax Monarch, which was here for a while. And the new 2013 Parkway SG/L. http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/parkway-sgl-2013

In the UK that seat will routinely be used for three year olds. They forward face between six and nine months, booster at three. I wouldn't exactly say they're ahead of us in any way shape or form.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 53", 92#, Nuna Aaces, Chicco KidFit
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

5. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member

It looks to me like the European one has deeper side/head wings(might just be the angle), a lower profile, and maybe a grippy seat belt holder. Plus, it just looks cooler!!
    Aurora 5/23/94 (married 3/9/13), Oliver 12/27/95, Simon 9/11/98, Savannah 4/9/00, Harrison 2/26/03, Genevieve 2/24/05, Sebastian 4/24/08-Monterey, Radian XT, or Literider, Magnus 4/26/14-Combi Shuttle 35

That looks awesome!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org
    -Jessica. mom to :
    Aislin (4-30-2006)..44lbs and 46.5 in tall. Boostered in a Cybex Solutions x-fix
    Skyla (3-13-2008)..32lbs and 43 in tall. Boostered in a Clek Oobr

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    Looks pretty similar to the Britax Monarch, which was here for a while. And the new 2013 Parkway SG/L. http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/parkway-sgl-2013

In the UK that seat will routinely be used for three year olds. They forward face between six and nine months, booster at three. I wouldn't exactly say they're ahead of us in any way shape or form.

Wendy
    I agree they have some cool seats and some nice features like load legs but until just recently the didn't even have top anchors as standard on their vehicles and many of their forward facing seats still don't include tethers. Not to mention car beds which are really popular in some parts of Europe. I think by no means are US seats inferior nor do I think they are better, but I do think if everyone (US, EU, and Canada) came together on car seats we could end up with something close to perfect.

I'm now tempted to ask my dad to bring one for my son when they come visit in October. It looks a lot deeper than the new SGL and has rigid LATCH. Plus, that XP-Pad is intriguing.

Katri »» Mom, Infant Teacher and CPST
    Elias »» 6.5 years old, harness in my car, booster in his father's car

Quote Originally Posted by PikkuMyy View Post
    I'm now tempted to ask my dad to bring one for my son when they come visit in October. It looks a lot deeper than the new SGL and has rigid LATCH. Plus, that XP-Pad is intriguing.
    And one for me too please

Ooh they make it in zebra!

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

They don't have top tethers because they have rigid lower anchors, which helps reduce head excursion.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 53", 92#, Nuna Aaces, Chicco KidFit
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

Looks nice, add arm rests and cup holders and I'd buy one.
    N - 6/08 51" 59 lbs, Backless Monterey
    E - 11/09 48" 48 lbs, Parkway

I think for boosters they are ahead of us. Love their boosters!

CPS Fanatic

Very pretty! In addition to the grippy cushion thingy and looking more stylish, it also has side cushions on it, something we have yet to see in their US boosters.

I agree that it needs cup holders and maybe some arm rests too.

Quote Originally Posted by PikkuMyy View Post
    And one for me please. A man smuggling multiple european boosters to the us won't look suspicious right?

Quote Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post
    And one for me too please
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlsmommy View Post
    And one for me please. A man smuggling multiple european boosters to the us won't look suspicious right?
    Nope, not suspicious at all! I'll be lucky if I can get him to bring me ONE! I wonder how much they cost in Switzerland or Liechtenstein. He works in Liechtenstein and it's a tax free nation, sooo...maybe less expensive?

Katri »» Mom, Infant Teacher and CPST
    Elias »» 6.5 years old, harness in my car, booster in his father's car

I have friends in the UK and Germany...wonder if I could get them to send me one!

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post

I agree that it needs cup holders and maybe some arm rests too.
    You guys and your need for cup holders make me laugh
    Chrissy Mum to : Ds Isaac(6) & dd Annabelle(2)

Quote Originally Posted by finn View Post

Take a long car ride with my kids and you'll stop laughing. There are no short drives where I live, it's 17 miles to the grocery store, I need cup holders for my sanity.
    N - 6/08 51" 59 lbs, Backless Monterey
    E - 11/09 48" 48 lbs, Parkway

21. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by finn View Post

I don't get it either lol

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that ever ends up in a cup holder is trash. I don't like giving the kids drinks in the car because they almost always spill. Or, if I do, I pass it back and get it back ASAP.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by agave View Post
    Take a long car ride with my kids and you'll stop laughing. There are no short drives where I live, it's 17 miles to the grocery store, I need cup holders for my sanity.

For older kids where I live, it's a must for several reasons. First, it's great to bring water to stay hydrated, something most of us aren't drinking enough of. Second, it's essential for the afternoon snack between school pick up and an after school activity. Of course I prefer the luxury of a relaxed day with time to sit down for our snack, but people are very busy in this country, work hours are longer than many laid back European countries, school hours are fairly long too and most people have after school activities for those things the kids don't get enough of in school, like the arts. And this is true some days even for those of us who try not to overschedule our kids and limit our activities so kids have enough free time to be kids. Third, they work for other things like stickers, flowers they just picked when you were trying to get them into the car, etc. Kids love having their own compartments!

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by gsdguenter View Post
    I don't get it either lol

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that ever ends up in a cup holder is trash. I don't like giving the kids drinks in the car because they almost always spill. Or, if I do, I pass it back and get it back ASAP.
    The right bottle doesn't spill and my attention belongs on driving, not passing back water bottles.

ETA: I hadn't noticed your kids are RFing. It's much easier for kids to not have cup holders RFing. They can hold the water bottle, snack, etc. because things don't fall out easily like with FFing seats. I have much taller kids than you do who outgrew RFing long ago. I remember a time when I didn't get the cup holders either.