Spare seats....

tl01

So having an often car sick rider in my car... When on long drives or trips, I have started taking a spare seat for him to sit in just in case. Since we only have two kids and a minivan there's plenty of extra space for seats. Since we will be doing a small road trip I'm thinking I'll bring an extra booster for DS1 as well. I'm sure I'm just nuts, but after so many lovely opportunities to pull over and clean up mess... It just makes me feel a little better to be prepared. Anyone else take extra seats along just in case?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, I wound up with an extra seat on a road trip once. We were gone for a couple weeks, and DD was in a Coccoro. When we passed through Phoenix (one day in), I bought a Radian from kidzndogz. So I wound up having an extra seat for the rest of the trip. I didn't wind up needing it, but it was nice to have.

I haven't traveled with extra seats since then, but if I had a puker, I probably would. I'd probably throw a Bubblebum in the car, too.

tl01

Well, I wound up with an extra seat on a road trip once. We were gone for a couple weeks, and DD was in a Coccoro. When we passed through Phoenix (one day in), I bought a Radian from kidzndogz. So I wound up having an extra seat for the rest of the trip. I didn't wind up needing it, but it was nice to have.

I haven't traveled with extra seats since then, but if I had a puker, I probably would. I'd probably throw a Bubblebum in the car, too.

DS2 is my puker... So he needs a convertible seat... I did have a bubblebum in my car until I recently tried it for DS1 but the fit was pretty poor and it was like watching him ride on a slip n slide. I let him ride in it to the mall and toyally spaced and didn't check his positioning until we arrived. The whole thing was a hot mess. That is no longer my back up. Super bummed because we were going to use it on our upcoming trip. Now my backup and travel seat for him is a nb turbo booster.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
A Turbo takes up almost no room. And if you have room for another convertible (combo?), why not? Would taking a spare cover work, or do you typically need to switch out seats entirely?

tl01

A Turbo takes up almost no room. And if you have room for another convertible (combo?), why not? Would taking a spare cover work, or do you typically need to switch out seats entirely?

Oh yes! A full seat swap out is most definitely preferable;). Even if DS2 wasn't in a foonf, I would still prefer a swap. With the foonf, and the tools and time required to remove the cover... There's no way we could tackle that on the side of the road;).

aeormsby

I took an extra cover when both kids were in MA's and we did a 12 hour road trip when they were 2 & 4 (I was mostly worried about potty accidents). Knocking on wood that we've never had an issue with car sickness, if we did I'd definitely bring an extra seat if it was feasible.

I'm actually bring an extra NBB on our trip this weekend, that's more because we'll be hanging out with our friend's 8yo on Saturday while he does a bike race and I'm not sure if she still uses a booster typically (doesn't need to legally, ya know).

kam1011

I always keep an extra backless in the car, but it's more for the estranged child that ends up tagging along. I have loaned it to someone in an "emergency" as well. (as in, I came to pick up my kid and oops I didn't bring his seat)

NannyMom

I keep a Safety 1st Go in my car. It sits between the 1st and 2nd rows. After Sofi's stomach bug driving alone to Fl last year, I will always make sure there's an extra seat during a trip!

scoutingbear

I always have an extra something in my car. I usually will throw the BB or RSTV in the car for road trips. If A or C gets their seat messed up, then they could ride in either of those. If M messes up her seat, A gets bumped to one of the travel seats, C gets bumped to the booster, and M could technically ride in the FR85. In dh's car? We all are sunk. I'm not putting the 2 year old in a PWSG. ;)

Phineasmama

I usually have an extra NBB in my car...don't know why but it could come in handy lol. I hate the bubble bum as well! When we went to AZ this spring I bought a bubble bum specifically for that and we ended up buying a Connext at Wal Mart when we got there because it was just so annoying.

Anyways, none of my kids puke in the car on a regular basis, I probably would keep a SureRide or something in there just in case. I don't like to keep expensive seats in the trunk because then I'm always worried I'll get in an accident and ALL my seats will be out of commission :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC