anyone here use Classic Ma Ff?

ADS

HappyHoo

I did for about a year with my DD.

It was okay, but her shoulders did start seeming more squished by the time I switched it back to RF to use for my DS.

She never complained though and it was her preferred seat (probably b/c of the cover). It installed easily as well.

But from a use perspective, the FF combination seats and the Radian are better. So I wouldn't buy a classic Marathon just to use FF, but was fine using it that way after DD hit the RF limit and I had to turn it. It just would not have kept her harnessed until booster age even if I hadn't needed it for DS.

Reactions: Kel

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I only used our Boulevard (pretty similar to the Classic Marathon but with headwings) FF once, and I just really didn't like the lack of leg support and how high the seat was on the base. When DD outgrew our Classic Marathon RF, I put her in a Frontier and passed the Marathon to DS. When he outgrew it RF, I gave it to family. I think I'm just not a big fan of convertible seats on bases as FF seats. (I passed down our Graco My Ride when it was outgrown RF as well, and I held onto the Boulevard until it expired as a just-in-case spare seat.) I loved the Boulevard (and I really liked the Marathon and My Ride) for RF, but I just prefer combination seats for FF. :)

aeormsby

Both of my kids FF'd in our Classic MA's when they were done RF (shortly after they turned 3). They were pretty snug in them by the time they were 4.5-5, trying to remember when DD's last ride in it was, probably before 5.5yo. They never complained and they always slept great in them because of the recline!

Here's DD at 5.5yo and about outgrown and getting snug at the shoulders (she was probably 40-45lb at the time).
100_3309.JPG

rachelandtyke

I used our Blvd 65 ffing for a little while for DD1 and have used our RA50 ffing, but really prefer seats not on a base for ffing. Love them on a base for rfing. So DD2 will move into the RA50 when DS outgrows it rfing and DS will move into the TF ffing.

Kel

Thanks all. I'm ordering the Classic ma today. DD2 is 15 mos, but around the 5% for height and weight. So I think she will be able to get past 3 RFing in it.

I'm trying to decide if I should hang onto the Blvd G3 for FFing down the RD, since its got safe cell, etc...she so small she may never need a combo seat.

Plus we plan to TTC in a mo or so, so I could hang on to Blvd for an New baby. But I've also got a CCO....

I just like the MA better, but not sure which I'd rather use FF later. Is it worth holding on to the Blvd G3?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
We have a RA50 which is based on the MA shell. I bought it exclusively as a FF seat for DD. She will be 4 next month and has a short torso....she is on the 2nd to the top slots so should fit until at least 6, though we tend to start booster training around 5.5. She absolutely loves her RA50. She had been in a Radian XTSL and definitely prefers the RA50.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I use the RA50 FF for my youngest and I like it. It sits high up on the base in DH's pathfinder, but that's my only complaint.

Kel

Thanks ladies! Glad to know some of you like it FF. We just got back from a well baby vist. DD I'd in the 1% for height, lol. So...I should need to worry about seat height, lol.

Think I'll sell one of our rxts. Keep one for an emergency 3across etc.. But not sure on the Blvd. I'm might list it to. I shouldn't need it, I guess.

Any pics of kids FF in a MA or RA50?

So the shells are the same, right?

BarbieWD

My 50th percentile DD2 just outgrew our MA G2 rf 3 weeks before her 4th birthday! And she has more torso than legs, but isn't exceptionally long torsoed. So I think your DD will last a really long time rf in it. As for ff, none of my kids have ever complained about it, but we really haven't used it much as a ff seat! As there has been someone else to pass it down to.

~Barbie

Phineasmama

My average height/weight DD1 outgrew the MA70 around 5 years old. I have used both the MA70 and MA65 for FFing, and they seemed totally fine. I think really small kids can sometimes be more comfortable in a FFing convertible than a combo seat, at least that's what I've experienced with DS. He's very small for a 4 year old but he's just now getting comfortable in the FR90. A year ago I don't think it would have been that great for him.

oddduck

My oldest (who will be 6 in under a month) still fits fine in a classic MA. She's narrow through the shoulders and has about 1/2-1" of torso room left.

Kel

Great. I'm excited to get my seat! My DD should fit forever being in the 1%!!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh wow, I just remembered, they used to sell shoulder foam for older kids! It was cut out at the shoulders so kids got an extra inch on each side, but still had head protection. I wonder if I can find a picture...
edit...nope, can't find it, but just imagine aeromsbys seat with the side parts of the foam slab cut out at about the level of the top slot. Still has foam behind and next to the head, but since it's not needed for shoulder protection, there's no problem with it missing on the sides. IIRC it made the seat last a lot more comfortably for many more months for some kids, but some kids didn't care at all and it didn't matter.

YinzerMama

I have and I will for a short while when I turn my youngest FF (his ma expires at the end of next year which is why the short while) All my older kids rode ff in them and never complained about being squooshed. I love my classic marathons. Soft, simple, comfy.

Kel

Thanks ladies! I'm really hoping I like this better than the Blvd. Which I really like. I just want to LOVE something, lol...

maramarrie

We've had some harness issues with that seat, but other than that it has been the greatest seat to install, RF, FF, in any vehicle I've tried. I can get that thing in and secure in just a couple minutes. LOVE that. DS now uses it FF as our spare seat in grandma's car. He will probably fit in it until he's ready for a booster.

Kel

Kay- thanks for the pic. Beautiful girls!

I'm hopping it comes before we move next Friday. I'll be agitated knowing I have two new MAs and new covers, and not being able too play with them, lol...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC