HELP finding a compatable seats for 2001 ram 1500 UPDATE

TLG Momma

DD is 4yrs 42lbs and 41in, DS is almost 7yrs 52lbs and 48in. I need new seats for them both. I am looking for a harnessed booster and a high back booster. I want them to have good padding and side impact protection with EPS foam, preferably in the sides as well, not just the head wings, which I need deep enough to stop head slump. My truck does not have LATCH or tether anchors. My problem with seats for DS are seat belt not retracting into the belt guide and car seat head rest pressing on the rear truck window. My main problems with seats for DD are lose install and car seat extending over the truck seat causing her knees to be almost touching the front center console. She usually puts her feet and legs on it for room. I have been through every option at Babies R US as well as A Britax Frontier 85 and Parkway I purchased on site. Also saw a video online somewhere from Recaro that their booster (pro-booster I think) can't be used in small extended cab trucks. Any one know what will work and be safe?

Last edited:
ADS

TLG Momma

Re: HELP finding a compatable seats for ram 1500

I did get a very good install with the sureride for DD, though it still overhung the front of the seat some and would cause head slump for sure. Does not transition to a booster, but I guess the high harness limit would help make up for that. So far for DS, the high back AMP has good belt retraction, but I'm not loving the short side supports and if I recall right it did not even have foam in the head support. It seemed flimsy as well, especially the height adjustment. I'm hopeing some of you can offer some better options.

Rebekah

What make/model truck do you have? I don't have a ton of booster knowledge and experience, but maybe someone else will have some info if they know what vehicle they are working with.

Edit: Sorry, just looked at the title...

Last edited:

TLG Momma

We looked at the Defender 360 but did not try it in the truck. We could not get the height to adjust and didn't see a manual in the box so my husband said forget it. It also did not have the foam I want for head protection. I read the link about the extended cab. We have what I think is a quad cab, year is 2001. It has 4 doors, but the back ones are not full size and can't be opened until the front ones are. It's a bench seat. It can fold up, but locks in place when down. It is shallow. So if I understood correctly my truck is not what manufactures consider a small extended cab so I might have more seat options???

Rebekah

The manual for the Recaro ProBooster says to not use it on the back seat of a small extended cab IF the seat is not fully supported. Does the Amp completely fit on the seat with absolutely no overhang in the front? If it does, how much room is available? The Amp is listed at 14.75 inches deep at the base. The ProBooster is listed at 16 inches. I would say that, based on the manual, if the ProBooster fits completely without overhang, then you can use it.

TLG Momma

The amp fit, not sure how much room to spare. I measured the truck seat and the back was about 21 the seat was about 17, but where the corners round over it's about 14. DS was previously In a older model evenflo chase dlx and that fit the seat completely with no room to spare. DD is in a scenena and that says it is 17, but it comes over due to the curve of the back of the seat. What about the belt guide in the recaro and Diono seats; do they move freely? Also I am concerned about the heavy car seat pressing on the rear window.

Rebekah

Anyone?????

I don't know about the Recaro belt guides. Do you mean the Diono Radian or Diono Monterey? If Radian, I've read that the belt guide of the RXT does not move freely and frequently leaves slack unless you pull it out. I believe that the Monterey has a new headrest with belt guides that do move freely. I really hope that someone else will be along to help.

MommyShannon

We have an older Ford F250 with a small back seat. I like the Recaro Vivo booster because is pretty shallow and vertical. The belt guides are on the side more, basically perpendicular to the seatback. Our seat belts come out of the guide when DS unbuckles, but it works. The Parkway SG/L work for us too though. We always use a nautilus for a harnessed seat there but it does overhang and not leave much legroom.
ETA: I meant to say we don't have a Ram, we do have a ford.

Last edited:

aeormsby

I was going to suggest the Recaro Vivo also. It works great in our 2004 Dodge Dakota (it has the full backseat but we had problems with the Parkway because of where the seatbelt comes out of the wall).

TLG Momma

It was the Montery I was looking at in Diono seats. We have the Parkway and it leaves a lot of belt slack for us as well as the secure guard for the lap belt being very awkward for DS, but the lap belt does not lay properly in our truck without it; with it the belt sort of ripples from being forced into position. Didn't seem like a safe option for us. I was looking at the Vivo last night after reading that the probooster can tip on turns on some bench seats. I'm ok with the belt coming out of the guide when unbuckled as long as it stays in place and doesn't cause slack when in use. That is my big concern with a booster and the back window. I'm afraid that in an accident the seat, if it rests on the window would break. The deep head and side are for safety, but also comfort so more of a want. It will save fights over DS trying to rest his head on the side of DD's seat. I read in another thread about Buy Buy Baby. I just found out that there is one near my husband's work so I am hoping they will have some seats BRU didn't. I'm trying to try in person or go with buying a seat online that I can get refunded at a store if it doesn't work. Right now I have 2 seats I got online other methods and am stuck trying to resell without muck luck. The one I can return, but only if I pay a restocking fee and I can't remember if return shipping is paid. Sorry for the ramble.

nmb

We have a Ram 1500, but it's a full quad cab, not 'extended', not sure how much that changes things.
But I've used a Parkway SG, and Clek Oobr as boosters on the side, both work fine. Cybex X-fix only worked in the middle. We've used a Nautilus and Frontier85 harnessed in it too, but I guess the extended cab / short bench seat might make those not work. Nautilus 'worked' as a booster but was a pain because DS could not buckle around/over those arm rests, and I can't reach past them, so it took half-climbing into the truck, squishing DS, to buckle for him. The Parkway and Oobr he can buckle himself.

TLG Momma

I tried the Monterey and Vivo with DS. Neither one worked, belt gave slack. It's a shame DS and I loved the Monterey, except he did note the short armrests. I ended up with a Recaro performance sport for DD despite the size and price of it. The seat belt install w/ 2 point was flawless, but the company says it is to have tether if using 2 point and the only reason they gave was "it's the safest way to install". I could not get tight install w/ 3 point, ultimately I took it back because I could not get the crotch strap adjusted. I've had some TIGHT ones before, but this one would NOT come out. The company said I was following the manual and to try pliers for a better grip, didn't help. At least I got free shipping and returns on all but the Recaro. I am out nothing though. BBB refunded me the shipping cost since there was an issue with the seat. My conclusion... older Dodge pick-ups are not a good vehicle with kids. We just got a 2004 F-150 full crew cab. I have had no issues thus far with car seats and the truck is 5* safety rated. DS is now in the Parkway I was out the money for when it didn't work in the dodge. The seat belt occasionally twists messing up retraction, but that's only from unbuckling; when in he is in it the belt now works with zero slack. DD ended up in a Secure Kid 400. I didn't think we would be getting another truck so soon or I would have waited a few weeks and saved all the stress. Maybe this whole mess will be helpful to someone else, because when I was going through it I could find very little info. Thank you to all of you that tried to help.:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC