Can I use these Roundabouts??

raymondgrace

We are taking the kids back to see my inlaws in Illinois in a few weeks. They have been in Roundabouts for the last 4 years (best investment so far!) and we just put them in Regents (thanks for all the advice/feedback/comments rec'd here :thumbsup:). My question is, can I still use these Roundabouts for our trip? I really hate the idea of taking my 2 new pristine (and not cheap) Regents and having them be tossed, loaded & unloaded in the plane. Granted we have car seats covers but I've got to believe damage can occur (have you seen some of the luggage that comes off the carousel? :eek:) in the process so I'd rather sacrafice the Roundabouts but ONLY if they are still safe for my kids. We're renting a full size car (taurus?) or a midsize SUV (trailblazer) if that makes any difference. On a side note, the last flight we took we opted not to use their seats on the flight so these will NOT be used on the plane.

Here's some info on my twins:
DS is 40lbs, 42 1/4" (he's all legs)
DD is 39lbs, 41 3/4" (she's longer in torso)

4 3/4 yrs old
used Roundabouts from aprox 6mos old until 4 1/2 (until last month), now in Regents.
DOM 5/03

I've uploaded 3 pics of my son and can't seem to figure out how to do 3 more of my daughter. I will respond to this post shortly with her pics!!! Thanks for your patience.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sue

ADS

LuvBug

the roundabout has a 40lbs limit, so as soon as they are 40lbs fully clothed with food in their belly ;) then they can no longer ride in them.
The regents couldnt be carried on even if you wanted to.. so hmm how often do you travel? are you maybe in need of spare seats anyway for another vehicle?

raymondgrace

ok, here is one pic of my daughter. i've exceeded the allowable space so i can only upload one pic, drats! i hope you can tell from this pic that her ears are just short of teh top and teh harness is at her shoudlers (maybe a hair above).

thoughts??? thanks!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I agree. Using these Roundabouts would definitely be pushing it.

Do you happen to have a need for Radians? They are GREAT travel seats and install so well on planes (I know you said you opted not to use seats on the plane in the past, but I will still point out a cool feature about the Radians) that you can even use the tray tables!

raymondgrace

I should clarify, my son was 40lbs clothed when weighed the other day but that was before running at mach speed all day. One BM and he's back to 39 (gross I know but you get the point).

We check our seats at the curb, they go in the belly of the plane. They are in car seat bags to protect from dirt but it does not protect them from being tossed all around. Regents can travel that way, my friend just did it using my bags.

No other car seats on our horizon. We only use the Regents in my Suburban-the family car.

I just hate to damage the seats since they are so new and if my kids are at the limit, still being safe the key factor, then I'd rather use the Roundabouts. Airlines don't reimburse for damaged seats. It's certainly preferable to renting car seats through the car rental.

Thoughts??

Thanks in advance!!

raymondgrace

Patriot-thanks but after just spending well over $500 on these Regents DH would have a coronary if I dare suggest another big purchase. The only other option is to buy Graco Turbo Boosters (again DH will FLIP). I don't like the idea of them in boosters but feel they are possibly safer than rental seats and my Roundabouts are a known seat so I know they are safe. A booster purchase is a last resort if the Roundabouts won't work and if I decide against taking my Regents.

Luvbug-thanks for your post, I clarified my son is at 39/40 lbs. I remember seeing a thread where it was posted as their body parts were within limits (ears, harness) that was ok. I know we are just at max weight but we are still at the allowable weight.

I know I asked for opinions so I could make an informed decision, I guess I was hoping you all would see the pics and say, 'oh, they are fine in the Roundabouts...' :confused:

Connor's Mom

I personally wouldn't use the Roundabouts. I think that it kinda splitting hairs when he weighs 40 pounds clothed one day and 39 pounds the next because like LuvBug03 said, it is 40lbs fully clothed and with food in their belly. But, I can't think of anything other than the Radian or Marathon. The Apex 65 is a cheaper HWH seat but it is not ideal for airplane travel.

ETA: You would be unable to use the Turbo Boosters on the plane as they require a shoulder belt but they could be used in the rental car. But, like you said, I also think putting a 4 year old in a booster is not a good choice either.

raymondgrace

The seats would be for car use only for one week, not for use on the plane.

I guess we'll be taking the Regents since all the responses were against using the Roundabouts!

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Sue

LuvBug

well heightwise they do appear fine, but the weightlimit is a dealbreaker... sorry it couldnt be an easy yes, its tough :(
I was hoping you needed spare seats for your other car maybe and could further justify buying different ones for the trip... if you traveled often that would be worth it though.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would do something besides taking the Regents. As you said, you have seen how they handle luggage. I think of them throwing around carseats, like the carseat being in a crash. I wouldn't be able to trust the seat. I wish you would have gotten the Radians since you have to travel by plane. I would buy a travel seat for each kid. Even one that you could leave at GandGs. Stefanie

clmmom

I would not take the regents. I have had too many bags damaged to trust a carseat being checked. I would take the roundabouts or buy 2 backless boosters. I know these are not the safest option, but neither are damaged regents.

Connor's Mom

I would not take the regents. I have had too many bags damaged to trust a carseat being checked. I would take the roundabouts or buy 2 backless boosters. I know these are not the safest option, but neither are damaged regents.

Sorry, but neither of those suggestions are safe at all. She can not take the Roundabouts because her kiddos are at the weight limit. And I can't even imagine suggesting to put two 4 year olds in backless boosters. Like I posted earlier, I would not even want to put them in the Turbo Boosters which are high back boosters that OP had suggested. 4 is just too young for a booster seat IMO.

skipspin

Okay, as long as your daughter's shoulders are even with or below the top harness slots, and her ears are not above the seatback and she is not 40 lbs, you can take the RA for her. (It's hard to tell in the pic.) I would want to weigh her the day you leave, and make sure the seat is tethered while you are on your trip. If your son is 40, then he can't- plain and simple. I agree that both are pushing it, but you can use the seat to the limit- just not above.

If you think you will be traveling more I would also highly suggest getting them something to use for travel. Perhaps Apex 65s (usually $99ish on sale, lighter than Regent), Safeguard GOs (good for some situations), Compass boosters (safer than an outgrown RA), or Radians (but they are HEAVY!). I wouldn't want to check my REgent as baggage. I would be way to afraid of it getting damaged and continuing to use it if I couldn't see the damage. That and, what if they loose your luggage? How do you leave with the kids?

Hope you figure something out!

MumtotinyM

Hmmm I am kind of surprised so many posts are saying she cant use the roundabouts. I always though that if the seat had a 40lb,65lbs.... weight limit then it could be used to that weight. So does that mean that if a seat says up to 40lbs then you can really only use it to 39lbs? I Personally would probably go ahead and use the roundabouts as long as they really are 40lbs or under and not 40.5 or 41. And from the pic's it looks like they fit height wise. I definitely agree with the no booster, 4 years old is far to young. I am clearly out numbered here though about using your current seat. :).
*Please note that I would never suggest using an unsafe seat, so If it really is unsafe then please let me know. I am a bit confused why so many people say she cant, is it because they might go over after eating? From her posts I took it that they were 40lbs after eating and fully clothed. I always though that if the seat said 40lbs that meant it could be used to 40lbs.* Thanks!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hmmm I am kind of surprised so many posts are saying she cant use the roundabouts. I always though that if the seat had a 40lb,65lbs.... weight limit then it could be used to that weight. So does that mean that if a seat says up to 40lbs then you can really only use it to 39lbs?

It means you can use the seat to 39 pounds, 15 ounces, but should not use it once your child is 40 pounds.

Perhaps the seat would be fine for a child who is 40, 41, or even 45 pounds, but I would NOT want to take that risk.

raymondgrace

I just weighed the kids at my neighbors (I tossed my scale long ago!) and both kids are well under 40lbs. I even took pictures of the scale reading! They both just finished dinner (meatloaf, mashed potatoes and peas-not a light salad!) and were in their pj's. DS weighs 38 and DD weighs 37. The previous weight was at my dads house and I wasn't doing the weighing, the kids were horsing around in his bathroom and hopped on his scale, I just happened to glance at the number.

I'm sure you must be thinking I'm trying to justify using my Roundabouts, yes I am. But I want to make sure they are safe for my kids to ride around in for a week. If their weight exceeds 40 lbs I won't take them but if they remain in this range I will. I just want to reconfirm that based on the pics these seats are ok. The kids look so tall in these compared to their Regents so my perception is skewed. If their ears don't clear the seat and the harness is above or at the shoulder they are ok, right??

I've posted 2 more pics of my daughter so you can see her shoulder and harness position & ears.

Thanks again!

keri1292

Yea, those bathroom scales can be off quite a bit. If the trip is soon, they should make it. You could always make them ride around in their underoos! :p
But seriously, your dd is really close to outgrowing her seat, so keep an eye on that torso. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC