My 5.5 yo is still in a marathon

U

Unregistered

My 5 1/2 year old is still happily riding in her Britax Marathon in my car. She is 41" tall and 33 pounds. She seems to still fit. However, I think I should let her have something else to ride to Kindergarten in? What seats would you recommend for her keeping in mind that she is 5 1/2? Thanks!

ADS

soph's mom

I would go with a nautilus or one of the new evenflo seats... I think the frontier is probably overkill for her since she's so tiny...

tiggercat

The Marathon is outgrown when the tips of her ears are above the top of the seat OR her shoulders are above the top harness slot, OR she reaches the weight limit - whichever happens first.
If she still fits in the Marathon, and she doesn't complain, I see no reason to switch because she is starting school.
If you do want a "big kid" style seat, I'd look at the Britax Frontier 90, or the Graco Nautilus or Argos.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Kel

Hello...Do you have other younger kids to pass seats down to? And how long are you going to keep harnesses?

krasota

If she still fits, there's no need to switch *unless* her seat is expiring soon. And it very well might be, depending on date of manufacture.

My small 6yo is riding in his 2007 Blvd until it expires. He's got a few inches of torso room before he outgrows it, but its time will be up in a couple months. He can buckle and unbuckle himself, he'd just like a cupholder (of course).

Of course, if you want to switch it up just for fun, go for it!

U

Unregistered

Hello...Do you have other younger kids to pass seats down to? And how long are you going to keep harnesses?

I do have a 3 yo, but he is almost the same size as my 5 1/2 year old!

U

Unregistered

Thank you all for your responses. Because she is small, I suppose she should be harnessed for a while. I know she can stay in the marathon for a while, but at some point I will have to buy her a new one anyway. I might as well get her a big girl seat now, or at least be watching for a good deal!
Are the radians still the only narrow ones? Are they as safe as the Britax? Safety is my main concern.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Safety is more important than budget.

Thank you all for your responses. Because she is small, I suppose she should be harnessed for a while. I know she can stay in the marathon for a while, but at some point I will have to buy her a new one anyway. I might as well get her a big girl seat now, or at least be watching for a good deal!
Are the radians still the only narrow ones? Are they as safe as the Britax? Safety is my main concern.

There's no need to spend money. She's perfectly safe in the seat she's in, and then when she outgrows it or is ready for a booster she can move to a booster seat. There are several that start at 30 pounds, and no studies showing a harness is better than a booster (or a booster is better than a harness) once she reaches maturity for it, since she's already over the minimum size of boosters.

Wendy

oddduck

If it makes you feel better, my DD1 is going into grade 1 in the fall and still rides in her Marathon (maybe 1/2" of harness over her shoulders). She'll be 6 in under a month.

EALOVE

There's no need to spend money. She's perfectly safe in the seat she's in, and then when she outgrows it or is ready for a booster she can move to a booster seat. There are several that start at 30 pounds, and no studies showing a harness is better than a booster (or a booster is better than a harness) once she reaches maturity for it, since she's already over the minimum size of boosters.

Wendy

When does the "no better harness/booster" stage begin?

tiggercat

When does the "no better harness/booster" stage begin?

When she is mature enough to sit correctly in a booster 100% of the time. So not lean out of position to grab things, bug a sibling, lean sideways, slouch out of position when asleep.

I also think it is important that they be at least 40lb, but that is my Canadian showing ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

U

Unregistered

So, if I keep her in her marathon until she outgrows it, she can go in to a regular unharnessed booster at that time and be just as safe? What age do kids typically move into the unharnessed booster seats?

Kel

My DD moved into a hbb (high back booster), at just past 5. She knew to stay in position and took it seriously.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Every child is different, but usually kids are okay in boosters when they are between 5 and 6 years old. Some kids are okay at 4, and others aren't ready until closer to 7 or so, but most are okay between 5 and 6.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC