Question Need to move to convertible RF seat in Outback

mschneid02

Hi,
My son is 19 (almost 20) months and we have the Chicco Keyfit 30. He is 23 lbs 7 oz and almost 30" at last measure (a month ago). We have a Subaru Outback 2011.

Questions:
1. My SIL recommended the First Years True Fit Recline C650. I'm tempted to go with that but ...Do I install the new convertible in the center? What age should he move from RF to FF? I was thinking 2 but maybe longer? Esp since he is so little?
2. We have #2 coming in February (shhh).
a) when we have 2 seats do they go on either side? or one in the center and one on the side (would be nice to fit an adult in the back). Does the First Years fit with the Chicco KF in the outback?
b) So, our current Chicco KF expires in Jan. Do we really have to get a new one?
c) is there any way to fit 3 in the back of an outback? (just thinking ahead - haven't convinced DH yet)
Thanks!

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Hi there!! Welcome to car-seat.org.

It's great that your SIL recommended the True Fit Recline C650. It's a very nice seat, but there are also lots of other great seats out there. NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) recommends keeping a child RFing until 4. It truly is the absolute safest way for children to ride in the car.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U&desktop_uri=/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U

I recommend that you keep your son RFing as long as possible. What is your budget? That will help determine what seats I will recommend. There are so many great choices out there that RF up to 40-50lbs! There's the Graco MyRide and Size 4 Me 70, Britax Marathon/Boulevard/Pavilion, Evenflo Sureride, Diono Radian, Recaro ProRide, Peg Perego convertible, etc.

I have two kiddos in my car and I keep them both outboard, but if you can make it work in your car, you might be able to get one outboard and one in the middle. Unfortunately, your Keyfit expires in January, so you will need a new seat. Carseats are only made to last for a certain amount of time before they wear down basically.

I can't talk specifically about the Outback because I've never attempted a three across in one, but there are slim seats that do make it a lot easier to fit three seats (Diono Radians for one).

I'd love to help you figure out what seats work best for your budget and your car. :)

mschneid02

Oops - I forgot about budget. Budget is not really an issue. We were very fortunate to get 95% of our son's clothes, toys, and strollers, etc from our sisters so I don't feel bad spending what we need here. Obv I would prefer to be reasonable.

I should also mention that my husband has a Camry (soon to get a new car but not sure what). We need carseats (one right now, 2 in the future) in both cars since he will drop off the kid(s) in the morning 2-3 days/week and I will pick up.

I'm completely on board with the RF thing. Didn't realize the reco was until 4.

nannykates

Also wanted to mention, infant seats are not a necessary step. You can put the baby straight into a rf convertible that fits newborns well if you wanted to avoid the infant seat, but if you like the infant seat that's a great route too!

It is possible to get three in an outback, not fun but possible. Radians with angle adjusters may be a good choice if you really want that possibility.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm completely on board with the RF thing. Didn't realize the reco was until 4.

I LOVE to read that! :D

I would definitely go to Babies R Us and look at:
Graco MyRide
Graco Size 4 Me
Britax Marathon
Britax Boulevard
Evenflo Sureride
True Fit Recline
Chicco NextFit

If I were you, I'd probably get an infant seat with an extra base for your husband's car. That would cover the baby for about a year. Then you could get your son a Graco Size 4 Me for your car and an Evenflo Sureride for DH's. By the time your baby is one, your son could move to a combination seat and then the baby can use the convertibles. It would probably be the most budget friendly to do it that way. :)

Gidgetc13

We have a 2010 Forester. I think the Outback has a little bit more room in the back than the Forester does. We will be adding #3 in November and I can fit a RF Radian, FF Radian, and a Graco SnugRide 32 (which is a pretty wide infant seat) across the back of our Forester. If you think you will possibly be doing 3 across at some point I would definitely recommend a Radian. Our Radians fit great RF in our Forester with an angle adjuster. The angle adjuster is a piece of foam that goes under the car seat to adjust the angle so it sits more upright. You can use it once your child is 1 year old, or sooner if they have good head control. I can fit an angle adjusted Radian behind either front seat and have the seats pushed all the way back.

mschneid02

Why the Graco Size 4 Me for my car and an Evenflo Sureride for husband's ? Is that better than the TrueFit recommended by SIL?

So the Graco goes up to 40lbs and the Evenflo up to 35. So the idea would be to use those plus another Chicco (hopefully?) for new baby until new baby is 20 lbs and then move son into something new?

There is one thing I should say: my son is very little for his age (he has Down Syndrome) and he has a very little head. Does that matter?

nannykates

Both the graco and evenflo rf to 40 lbs. Kids can sneak up on 35 lb limits and the trufit is a very wide seat that will not fit in a three across.

NewEngland

Hi, I have the same car, so maybe I can off some insights.

1. The Truefit should fit RF in every seating position in the car and, as your son is small for his age, should get him to at least 3 RF. It also has a nice recline when FF, which makes it good for kids who sleep in the car or have low tone issues.

2a. I put my 2 kids outboard. I find it easier, but if they safely fit side by side, you can put one in the middle.

2b. You need to get a seat that isn't expired for the new baby, either an infant seat or a convertible that fits newborns well.

2c. You can get 3 across in an Outback, but probably not with a Truefit. I've done it twice. I've done RF Radian, Graco Turbobooster, RF Combi Coccoro and I've done RF Cosco Scenera, FF Cosco Scenera, baseless Graco Snugride 22. Soicking the right seats is key, but a 3 across is absolutely possible. Also remember, new carseats are cheaper than new cars, so don't necessarily feel the need to plan years in the future for this one purchase.

mschneid02

Hmmm... this is all very helpful. Now I'm torn between the TF and the Graco Size 4 Me. Are there any differences in safety? It just sounds like the Graco will give us a little more room to work with if we try to take an extra adult and I have to squeeze in the middle or something.

mschneid02

Update:

--We got the Graco Size4Me and I HATE hate hate the buckle and strap. I'm sure I need to work with it more and I've found some helpful threads on the straps. But DH and I aren't good at that stuff. It's at the point where I will carry the stroller, the diaper bag, my purse and everything else just to make it so DH has to buckle him in.

--DS and I were hit in the car parked in a lot and hit by someone backing out of the space behind us. So, now I need to get rid of my seat that's just one month old?

--Sticking with the Chicco infant seat/base for #2 and am getting one used from our neighbor.

Question:
--Stick with buying a new Graco Size4 Me for the Subaru Outback?
--What to buy for DH's Toyota Camry knowing it will have to fit with the Chicco?

Need to make decisions ASAP as now I'm driving around with a damaged car / car set and DH still has an infant seat.

nannykates

How About a britax or radian or nextfit. All should have nicer buckles and have an easier to adjust harness (although the radian has a ratcheting harness which some find anoying).

mschneid02

I'm thinking of staying w the Graco - path of least resistance in my car and looking at the others for DH. are they all similar in quality and safety? i guess the biggest thing would be lbs for RF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC