Question steam clean car seat covers?

MyMunchkins

I hope it's ok to post this here. I ran into a baby cleaning service, including car seats...which I have no use for since I take it upon myself to do all our baby cleaning. However, it got me wondering if it's ok to steam clean car seat covers since that's part of their "Car seat cleaning and Installation." I've only hand washed our covers and it was my understanding most manufacturers recommend hand wash and/or gentle cycle in washing machine. Any thoughts on steam cleaning?

It looks like a CPST re-intalls the car seat with this company and/or provides instruction. I'm thinking of attending one of their events and casually checking to see if they are actually CPSTs who do the re-intallation. :whistle:

http://losangeles.cleanbeebaby.com/services/car-seat-cleaning-installation

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We welcome this kind of question!

I live in L.A., have checked out their equipment, chatted with their employees, and talked to their founder.

She claims to have gotten approval on the steam cleaning; I actually don't doubt that. I'm personally comfortable with the steam portion as a short burst of fairly low-heat steam such as they use shouldn't be enough to damage a car seat more than, say, sitting in a hot car in the summer...

What I am not comfortable with are some of the cleaners they use. They claim they are "natural and gentle" but the ones I looked at, though "natural," do contain ingredients I am absolutely not comfortable with cleaning the shell or harness of a car seat with.

I would be ok using this service for steam cleaning IF and only if I told them NOT to use any of the cleaning products, plain water only, AND I stood by to watch them do it.

Also, their employees are CPSTs, but that doesn't mean they know their way around every seat; I'd want to put my seat back in myself.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
From what I saw them doing, they do not typically disassemble seats. But again, I'd stand and watch.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh joy. The technician I talked to said they were told not to unthread unless the straps were knotted, twisted, or otherwise obviously wrong. I wonder if that's new, following complaints?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC