FR 90 with no top tether option

duckmama

My 5.5 year old is going to be needing 2 new seats due to school pick up. At the moment she is happy in a Frontier 85 I plan on replacing with a 90 soon. My first thought is to to get 3 FR 90s because she has Autism and likes things the same. She will be in the harness as long as allowed because she cannot sit properly in just booster mode at this age. Dh's car is my problem car as it has no latch system so no tether option. My car is a 2003 Ford Focus with Latch, she has to sit behind the driver because of a RF sibling. We do have top tether in this car. Grandmother's car she can sit in any slot, this car does have a top tether, this car is a 2005 Mercedes SUV. Dh's car is a 2002 Ford Explorer and she would most likely sit behind the driver so her sibling could ride along at times. There is no top tether which I don't like. Should I go ahead with 90's or is there a better option. I am the only one who can install a car seat and no they really are not going to learn and in the other cars except mine they will need to be removed at the last minute so reinstalled quickly so we were getting these for the ease of install.

ADS

Brianna

I found this for the 2002 Ford Explorer
According to the LATCH manual, the 2002 has top tether anchors, but not full LATCH. You'll have to install with the seatbelt, but will be able to utilize the top tether for a forward facing child. :)

Do you have a 2 or 3 row Explorer?

The 2 row/5 passenger has a tether anchor for each rear seating position. The outboard anchors are the U shaped metal rings on the floor. For the center position, use either anchor at the rear of the floor in the scuff plate.

The 3 row/6 or 7 passenger has the same U shaped anchors on the floor behind the second row (2 or 3, depending on bucket or bench seats). The third row uses the two anchors in the scuff plate.

I think the Frontier 90 would be a good choice in your case.

Athena

You need a harness that will last a long time and an easy, quick install, right? I can't comment on the tether, but this has the tallest harness and probably the easiest seat belt install, so I'd say your situation is what it's made for.

duckmama

Having no lower anchors does not always mean no top tethers :)

No, it doesn't but this one doesn't seem to have any tether on top or the bottom. I searched every inch hoping there was some point hiding I could find, but it is before they had to install them I guess. I'm worried when she gets to a higher weight it might be an issue. She is roughly 48 pounds at the moment and the Frontier 85 has several years to go before she outgrows it and has to move to the booster mode and the 90 has a little more room. I was just hoping the 90 with no tether wasn't going to be terrible. I am comfortable with it otherwise and know they have the best chance of my inlaws and husband using it correctly and it fits her well otherwise.

Brianna

No, it doesn't but this one doesn't seem to have any tether on top or the bottom. I searched every inch hoping there was some point hiding I could find, but it is before they had to install them I guess. I'm worried when she gets to a higher weight it might be an issue. She is roughly 48 pounds at the moment and the Frontier 85 has several years to go before she outgrows it and has to move to the booster mode and the 90 has a little more room. I was just hoping the 90 with no tether wasn't going to be terrible. I am comfortable with it otherwise and know they have the best chance of my inlaws and husband using it correctly and it fits her well otherwise.

There should be U shaped anchors on the floor. They might not look like the top tethers you have in your sedan, or be marked by the top tether anchor symbol like you're used to seeing.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
According to the LATCH manual, he has top tethers. What version of the Explroer is it? The Sport 2-door or the 4-door SUV?

For the Sport, the tether anchors are the squared cargo tie-down rings behind each outboard seat. No center TA in the Sport.

For the 4D SUV, the outboard anchors are U-shaped metal rings on the floor behind the seat. The center position can use either of the two cargo tie-downs on the tailgate sill.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC