Child loosening harness himself

Lenae

DH went to buckle Colton into the ProSport yesterday and the harness was super loose. We don't normally loosen it like that, so he asked me if I had done it. Colton claimed he did it, and I didn't believe him. So DH buckled him in and then Colton showed us how he reaches his hand down, pulls the adjuster up, and leans forward. I've never had an issue with him doing this in any other seat. We calmly, but very seriously told him he was never to do that again. That if we were to get in a crash, and his seat was super loose like that, that he would most certainly be hurt and maybe even killed. He said he wouldn't do it again.

Would you let him ride in the seat? His only alternative is boosters, which he rides fabulously in, I just prefer him harnesses in DH's pickup because that's what we take on long trips and camping and whatnot. DH is going to be mad if I tell him we need to buy Colton a new harnessed seat, but not mad enough to cause a fight, lol.

Thoughts? It really scared DH and myself, but when we talked to Colton about it, he wasn't that impressed, ya know? He doesn't grasp the injury or death issue I guess.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
He said he understands and won't do it again, so I'd be fine with him still riding in it, if you feel it's the safest option to keep him harnessed. :)

Phineasmama

I had the same problem with DD1 in the Prosport, she had just turned 5 years old I think and even though I yelled at her and lectured her she wouldn't stop doing it :( I ended up selling it and replacing with a FR85 for a while because it was totally unsafe. She couldn't reach the FR adjuster to loosen it so that worked for us.

aeormsby

Does he buckle or unbuckle himself at all? Maybe start letting him loosen it like that before you unbuckle it if he wants to help more? Maybe that would help reinforce that you can't loosen it while you're driving?

My DD by the time she was 4 could buckle and reasonably tighten herself in the Marathon, she'd grab the adjuster strap and use her foot in the loop created when she was holding the end and tighten it (and loosen it the way you described). DS on the other hand I can barely convince to help by buckling himself in while I'm getting other stuff in the car.

Lenae

Does he buckle or unbuckle himself at all? Maybe start letting him loosen it like that before you unbuckle it if he wants to help more? Maybe that would help reinforce that you can't loosen it while you're driving?

My DD by the time she was 4 could buckle and reasonably tighten herself in the Marathon, she'd grab the adjuster strap and use her foot in the loop created when she was holding the end and tighten it (and loosen it the way you described). DS on the other hand I can barely convince to help by buckling himself in while I'm getting other stuff in the car.

If the straps a loosened, he can buckle himself. He can't do it if they start out tightened though. But, if they start off loose, he sometimes twists them, so I feel like there's no winning.

HappyHoo

My almost 4 yo loosens himself - but only at the right times.

So I'd let him do it on his own - when it's time to get out of the car and unbuckled. Letting my kids do stuff like that at the appropriate times helped stop them doing it at the wrong time.

Plus, by 5-6 yo, I liked that my DD could pretty much get herself in/out of the car with us just doing a quick check/tighten the harness all the way.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would be fine with him riding in it again, but I'd keep a VERY close eye on him. Even if he isn't old enough to grasp injury and death, he is old enough to understand consequences. If he does it again, give some kind of consequences so he understands that the behavior will not be tolerated.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC