New diono harness pads are like buckling a kid into a helicopter :-P

soph's mom

Is it just me or do the new pads seem like you are buckling a child into a helicopter or fighter jet or something similar??? Lol

ADS

Rebekah

I was actually just about to start a thread about those! When did they start shipping with the new pads in the US? I bought an RXT in October 2012 (manufactured June 2012) and it came with the old pads. A friend just bought one and it has the new full-length pads. The new pads aren't available online yet. I wonder if Diono would send some new ones, or at least let me buy them directly. My DD is RF and 19-months old so I'm not even sure that they would fit or be needed for a couple more years since they are optional RF. I just kind of want them since they are apparently standard now.

soph's mom

I know they send out the little ones so I would imagine they would send you the long ones. I want to question them about them and a sk xtsl for a friend of mine. Her son has a ribcage malformation and also failure so he has almost 0% body fat to thrive so I think they would help with his comfort...

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
They are crazy! Are they the same foam as under the butt? The one I checked was brand spanking new, and I'm too lazy to fetch the info.

soph's mom

They seem thicker than the butt pad to me... Honestly the butt foam on the rxt seems thinner than on my xtsl... Still plenty there tho!

jacqui276

I like the full length pads and they've fit well on DS since I bought the seat when he was 5 months old. They are about 3/4" thick and pretty stiff.

They seem to be an acquired taste though. :p My sister hates them and pulled them off DS's seat in her car (and I'm storing them for when he is FFing someday).

bnsnyde

We have them on our old Radian, bought in 2012 or something like that?
I really like them! They seem comfy and help position the chest-clip, and minimize twisting. Maybe they'd help prevent bruising in an accident.

I only used them on an older FF child, so that's all I can comment on.

soph's mom

Here is an installed pic... I did tighten the harness after the pic btw. Wish I had gotten a pic w all three seats filled this morning...

Attachments

• image-3175681625.jpg
    image-3175681625.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 109

Mary_Ann

They seem thicker than the butt pad to me... Honestly the butt foam on the rxt seems thinner than on my xtsl... Still plenty there tho!

I just bought an rxt and i also think that they seem thicker than the butt pad!!! My dd loves them, she is 4.5 yo and she is use to the britax hugs!

soph's mom

I just bought an rxt and i also think that they seem thicker than the butt pad!!! My dd loves them, she is 4.5 yo and she is use to the britax hugs!

I think they keep them from twisting as bad and make them easier for her to do her chest clip herself...

littleangelfire

I loathe the new longer harness pads. They're a massive pain in the rear rear facing, and Id on't see how they're any better forward facing. I think it makes it harder to make sure the harness is tight enough.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I've come to like the big harness pads, but they took a lot of getting used to. I ordered them because my daughter was squirming her shoulders out of the straps, and I theorized that the extra bulk of the larger pads would prevent that. It does seem to work. My husband also likes them. I hated them the first time I saw them (doing a private seat check for someone a few years back when they were briefly "standard" on US Radians). And I hated them when I first started using them for my daughter. But now that she's been using them for a while I like them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC