Question My ERF options, dang big kids

Keeyamah

I'd like to RF to as close to 4 as I can get with YDS. DH is finally on board, I think he's spent the last almost 2 years thinking about crash forces and little bones :)

We went boating recently and so I weighed ODS to make sure he'd still be ok in his life jacket (and how close he is to needing a new one). He will be 4 in Sept, is 42.75" (possibly 43" if he were to really stand up straight) and 45-45.5 lbs. Got his torso height for giggles, its 15.25"

YDS is following ODS growth pattern to a T, so he will likely be 40lbs and 40in by about 2.5. Currently is in size 18 month everything, approx 23lbs and 30in at 10 months old (same as big bro at the same age)

So the Radian(120 or RXT) goes to 45lbs and 44", but 1.5" of shell above head

Foonf is a 43", and 50lbs

Peg is 45lbs and 1"

Current vehicle is a 2004 Ford Freestar.

Anyone want to help me compare and contrast these? I'll likely be needed to buy before/by this time next year.

ADS

Stelvis

The Peg isn't that tall so I'd eliminate it right away.

The Foonf is a much, much taller shell than the Radian. Miles and miles taller.

So, it's a question of torso height. Will he max out the Radian by torso height before he hits 43"? If so, Foonf. If not, Radian.

HappyHoo

A 3 yo bigger than mine!

It will depend on torso v. legs too - how would your ODS fit in a Radian now RF even though he's over the weight limit.

My DS will be 4 one month from today. He is able to still RF in the Radian just barely - he's not quite at the 1 1/2" mark and is 43 lbs and 42 inches tall.

I guess with the Foonf 43" limit - my DS might possibly last a bit longer in it RF than the Radian, but probably not by that much.

Keeyamah

So, it's a question of torso height. Will he max out the Radian by torso height before he hits 43"? If so, Foonf. If not, Radian.

Ok, so peg is out.

Roughly what shirt size do kids outgrow the Radian RFing? Big bro is in a size 5 shirt from Old Navy (and pants too).

I wonder if there is anywhere nearby that actually carries the Radian here. Prolly not :(

ETA: supposedly my local targets and kohls carry them. I've never seen them, but it wouldn't hurt to call and see.

Stelvis

Ok, so peg is out.

Roughly what shirt size do kids outgrow the Radian RFing? Big bro is in a size 5 shirt from Old Navy (and pants too).

I wonder if there is anywhere nearby that actually carries the Radian here. Prolly not :(

ETA: supposedly my local targets and kohls carry them. I've never seen them, but it wouldn't hurt to call and see.

I'm starting to think shirt size isn't a great indicator, because how skinny kids are also affects shirt size, KWIM? DS would've probably been about a 3T when he outgrew the Radian. And about 41".

Keeyamah

I'm starting to think shirt size isn't a great indicator, because how skinny kids are also affects shirt size, KWIM? DS would've probably been about a 3T when he outgrew the Radian. And about 41".

Very true, I don't have skinny kids, so I don't think about that, lol.

featherhead

Clek has said that their 43" limit actually means anything less than 44". So 43.99" is still considered 43" for the Foonf. So the height limits for the Foonf and Radians are basically the same.

Keeyamah

Clek has said that their 43" limit actually means anything less than 44". So 43.99" is still considered 43" for the Foonf. So the height limits for the Foonf and Radians are basically the same.

Interesting...... And it gives me 5 extra pounds.....

YouAreTheFocus

Can you get to a Buy Buy Baby? We were able to try all of the seats you've mentioned there. I was totally set on the Peg, until we went to BBB. WAY too short to consider. My 3.5 yo had a ton of growing room in the Radian & Foonf (and HeadWise & NextFit) but he's not quite 40" yet (and only weighs 33 lbs).

Keeyamah

We've got a BRU (couple actually) in the area, even if they are in the corner of a TRU. Not sure about BBB. Lemme go check....

ETA: none within 50 miles :(

agave

I put my 5 yr old in the radian yesterday to see if she still fit. She's 42.5" 16"ish torso and a big head. She had maybe an inch of growing room left.

Brianna

Just because I happen to love buying car seats, I would buy a MySize or clone for now and hope something even better than a Foonf is out by the time he outgrows the MySize. But that's not the most budget friendly approach :duck:

Keeyamah

I put my 5 yr old in the radian yesterday to see if she still fit. She's 42.5" 16"ish torso and a big head. She had maybe an inch of growing room left.

Ok, so that is a maybe on the radian again.

And I called and confirmed that no stores near me carry them in store :(

ARGH, why do the men in my family have to be so BIG!

Phineasmama

I wouldn't get a Foonf for an older ERFer unless they REALLY needed that extra 5 lbs. I'd do a Radian and RF as long as you can, and call it good. Unless you want to import a seat that's probably your best option anyways.

mrosehughes

My DS is just slightly shorter than your DS, wears size 5 shirts, and still fits RFing in his radian, but he weighs 40 lbs not 45. I'd get a foonf. I think the foonf will almost definitely get you yds to 4 RFing; the radian may not by weight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC