Is the harmoney defender a pain to assemble?

I am trying to decide between this and the secure kid.. also which makes a better booster for after? I need one in this ball park price range, and it needs to harness him for a while since he is hyper active.

Nolan will be 5 in Aug and weighs 40 lbs even, he is on the second to last slot of the maestro in dh's car.. but is kind of getting close. I need to replace the frontier with something smaller for my new 3 across situation.;)

ADS

AZmamaof2

I watched a video on youtube showing how to assemble the harmony defender, and while it was a little tricky, it didn't look like a huge pain. Try searching "assemble harmony defender" and there is a lady who shows how she does it and tells the steps.

I'm in the same kind of boat as you. Looking for a combo seat with high harness. From the stats, the maestro and securekid both have 18" high harness straps. I was considering those seats among others as a backup. What do you think about the maestro? Is your DS going to outgrow it by the end of the year?

My DS turns 5 in 3 months. He weighs a few lbs more than yours, and has 15" bottom to shoulder height. Do you think he would have much use from a maestro?

i am using that right now.. but it is really dh's seat for his car.. he has plenty of height room but weight wise not long enough the way this kid grows.. he was only 33 lbs a year ago. It is just not a high enough weight limit for me to buy another right now. He will need a harness for a very long time the way he moves around.. he had to use a booster in a jam once, it was the vivo.. this was a month ago maybe.. he was horrible in it..he kept standing up, i had to go sit with him, and hold him down till we got home. it was a nightmare.

AZmamaof2

Tracee, whenever I see your son's pic, I imagine the car seat is giving him a big, strong hug! His legs look like they extend like arms from the seat.

Also, can you specify what you like about the SK vs HD vs GN? I'm also looking for a high harness/booster seat as a backup? Thanks!

AZmamaof2

i am using that right now.. but it is really dh's seat for his car.. he has plenty of height room but weight wise not long enough the way this kid grows.. he was only 33 lbs a year ago. It is just not a high enough weight limit for me to buy another right now. He will need a harness for a very long time the way he moves around.. he had to use a booster in a jam once, it was the vivo.. this was a month ago maybe.. he was horrible in it..he kept standing up, i had to go sit with him, and hold him down till we got home. it was a nightmare.

That sounds awful :( Hopefully his weight growth will start to taper off a bit to let you harness longer. Do many kids outgrow the maestro in wt before ht?

I am going to go this route I think after playing with both

second to last slot is being used.. head rest in second position.. how long does it look like it would last for him? at least a year?

on second thought.. I may like the SK better but the defender is probably the one that will last harnessed longer so I should go that route right? I could not figure out the head rest on it in the store but did not have a manual to read there.

Is there anything else I should be looking at.. the situation is a 3 across, need to spend less than 150 for sure.. I am out of the loop these days.. it also needs to make a great fitting booster

mom of six

Meghan, I am the Harmony Defender assembly YouTube video maker. I find the adjustment of the Defender to be very easy. However, the button is kind of awkwardly placed for adjusting in the car. The best way to access it is from above and behind the seat. You have to reach into the cover and squeeze the button up. It is easy to adjust in my minivan if I reach in from the back hatch to access it. Make sure the harness is loose or it will not adjust. That has caught me a couple of times.

One thing I noticed in the picture of your son in the SK is that it looks like his head is being pushed forward by the head wings which makes me think potential for head slump. The way the Defender's head wings are designed it does not push the kids head forward. My son sleeps very comfortably with no head slump.

Meghan, I am the Harmony Defender assembly YouTube video maker. I find the adjustment of the Defender to be very easy. However, the button is kind of awkwardly placed for adjusting in the car. The best way to access it is from above and behind the seat. You have to reach into the cover and squeeze the button up. It is easy to adjust in my minivan if I reach in from the back hatch to access it. Make sure the harness is loose or it will not adjust. That has caught me a couple of times.

One thing I noticed in the picture of your son in the SK is that it looks like his head is being pushed forward by the head wings which makes me think potential for head slump. The way the Defender's head wings are designed it does not push the kids head forward. My son sleeps very comfortably with no head slump.
naa he was just messing around cause there was a tag behind his head that he didn't like.. he really didn't have head slump when I told him to sit right, but I wonder if he would? He never had it in the nautilus. hmm..

on the Defender is the harness long enough in the highest position? I read a complaint about that.

kaleigh71

I purchased one last month for my 4.5 year old and after replacing the short crotch buckle with the longer one she is very happy in the seat. I didn't find it hard to put together at all. As for strap length, I tried my average sized 7 year old daughter in it, using the shorter buckle, and had the strap length to do it.

tracee877

Tracee, whenever I see your son's pic, I imagine the car seat is giving him a big, strong hug! His legs look like they extend like arms from the seat.

Also, can you specify what you like about the SK vs HD vs GN? I'm also looking for a high harness/booster seat as a backup? Thanks!

LOL! It does look that way!

I really like the SK because it's well padded, no head slump, long crotch buckle and LOVE the sureLATCH. I like it better than the GN since the GN is less padded and he tends to have head slump and it doesn't have the nice LATCH connectors. I had the Defender very briefly but it was better padded than the GN. I just really did not care for it overall.

kathysr98

I've assembled three Defenders, and didn't really have any trouble. Well, the first one took a while, but I was doing it at the ballfield while watching and then fussing at a group of boys for terrorizing some wild rabbits. Little twits. The Defender is super easy to adjust, IMO. The button is easy to press & you just pull it up. Between my BFF and I we have had four 4-5 yos in them and everyone is happy with the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC