which is safer?

cryway903

I have a 10 yo 62 lb with a seated torso height of 19". She is on the autism spectrum, has heart problems, sensory issues and more. Her therapists have said she has low muscle tone but i honestly dont see it. She can just, stand, walk and do just about everything else she wants to fine. She has a Britax frontier that she has outgrown the harness in. She has ridden in booseter mode for short trips and did OK but simply isn't 100% trustworthy in a booster on a regular basis or for long trips. Extra supervision and lots of threats of you will have to ride in your other seat keep her sitting safely in a booster for short trips. I have a Monterey booster that isn't being used right now that she can go into, I can booster mode the frontier, or get her a special needs seat with a harness. Insurance will cover a sn seat so no issues there. But my question is all around which is the safest option? Assuming I had any hope of training her to sit properly in a booster all the time? I think I've read where you loose safety features on the sn seats. Things like the head wings that both the Monterey and frontier have. Not sure this is true though. From strictly a which seat is safer view which of the three would be the safest option? From the view of my daughter has special needs which seat becomes safest? I also have the option of buying the frontier 90 but she would only have 1" of growing room. Also, is there any hope of getting a 3 across in the 3rd row of a 2004 Chevy venture with a special needs seat? I can get three across the third row with the frontier, radian xtsl, and Monterey. It is a very tight fit and the seat belt on the Monterey can't be strapped and unstrapped with each use it must be strapped and then wiggled into and tightened. But they do fit.

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you like the SIP of boosters like the Monterey but your DD needs more support to keep her in position, there are special needs seats that are basically a booster with a positioning harness. The harness keeps the child in position, and the seat belt does the actual restraining.

I doubt she'd have any more growing room in a SN seat with a harness (that does the restraining and the seat belt installs the seat) than she would in the FR90.

The Pilot is basically the SN version of the Monterey if you like it http://www.snugseat.com/products/transportation/pilot/c-23/c-73/p-192/?sku=48559

Edited to say - if she stayed put in a booster, the difference between booster and typical harnessed seat is likely not statistically significant. I don't think we have enough data to truly say which is safer. It really sounds like what I mentioned about would meet your concerns for positioning as well as crash protection.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
The "safer" depends on how well she can maintain her position when in booster mode. At her age/size, safety in booster vs. 5 pt can be argued either way. The question is, "Can she remain in the correct position for the entire trip?"

Even this is a bit subjective, as I know of no child (NT or non NT), and very few adults who remain 100% in position, 100% of the time when traveling long distances.

I believe if she's driving you nuts with the need to monitor, remind, bribe and/or threaten, then a SN seat would be the way to go. Since space is tight, you might want to look into an 86-Y harness first.

http://www.ezonpro.com/products/familyVehicle/86yHarness.shtml

Also, be advised that SN seats take extended time if purchasing through insurance.

AustinMusic

I believe if she's driving you nuts with the need to monitor, remind, bribe and/or threaten, then a SN seat would be the way to go. Since space is tight, you might want to look into an 86-Y harness first.

I second flipper68; the requirement for extra supervision combined with some concerns over regular trustworthiness dictates that consistently safe booster use is somewhat unlikely and thus a special needs restraint would be the safer option.

Also, is there any hope of getting a 3 across in the 3rd row of a 2004 Chevy venture with a special needs seat? I can get three across the third row with the frontier, radian xtsl, and Monterey. It is a very tight fit and the seat belt on the Monterey can't be strapped and unstrapped with each use it must be strapped and then wiggled into and tightened. But they do fit.

Given the considerations about rear seat space, the E-Z-On 86Y Harness or an E-Z-On Vest could prove apt solutions. We have been using an E-Z-On Vest for a while and find it very easy to use (we currently use the 102 Vest although we have used the 103Z Vest previously). Understandably, some perceive the E-Z-On Vests to be complex to use however we found them no more complicated to use than a regular car seat.

Importantly, should you consider the 86Y Harness or a Vest, it is a wise idea to carry an emergency seatbelt cutter (as seen here) in the vehicle located in a position where it can be accessed quickly and easily. In the event of crash, you may well need to exit the vehicle quickly and cutting through the webbing safely is often the best solution.

Good luck with finding a solution.:)

henrietta

For what it's worth, my almost 8 year old has low muscle tone (he was a preemie, has high functioning autism, a heart issue, etc), and he can run, jump, climb, and do almost anything else he wants to. No one would ever think he has a problem with his muscles. Where it shows up is in how long he lasts...he wears out faster than other kids and he requires more rest. In the car, it has affected how well or how long he can sit in his booster seat, esp the backless ones, b/c the longer he's in it w/less support, the harder his little body has to work to stay in place. Sitting in a chair or desk to do school work, it affects him the same way. If I sent him to regular school, he'd probably be in trouble for not sitting up and paying attention.

This may not apply to your daughter-you know your child best-but it may help another member reading your post. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC