Convertible for Newborn

longstocking

My friend started a post about this on Facebook for me but I can't chime in since I don't want anyone seeing my posts asking about newborns. I'm only 7 weeks - due Feb. 5th - no one beside my best friend and my husband know.
I was planning on reusing my Keyfit 30 for this baby but realized it expires next January. We have zero money at this time so I am thinking of just getting a convertible that can last until it expires. With my first babies I only used the infant seat for 6 months at the most. I really liked the infant seat for the first few months but after that it usually didn't leave the car. I hate lugging that thing around. My last baby only rode in the infant for maybe 2 months at most because she hated laying back and needed to sit more upright in a convertible so we could all travel happier.
We are 98% sure this baby will be our last so I wouldn't get any other use out of an infant.
Which convertibles fit newborns the best? My babies have all averaged 8-9 lbs (smallest was 7lb 11 oz and largest was 8 lbs 9 oz) I'm pretty sure I don't need to worry about my babies being too small.
I am looking to stay close to $100 but for sure less than $150.
I can use the Keyfit I have for the BRU trade-in event if you think I would get the best deal doing that.
Also, our car is a full size (9 pass.) '98 Chevy Suburban with no latch or tethering. But, the seatbelts do lock.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Heh. I won't say anything... ;)

Congratulations!

In the under $150 range I recommended (and recommend) the Graco MyRide or the Evenflo Triumph 65.

longstocking

hehe - see, now all my friends know :)
Are you talking about the Graco My Ride 65? I see one now on NBD for $111. Not sure what opened and resealed box means though.
I obviously have a lot of time to stock deals, and possibly check out BRU trade-in ... whenever that comes around. Too bad our closest BRU is almost 2 hours away. Worth it for a good deal though!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would honestly avoid NBD unless they are unopened overstock. I am very uncomfortable with opened returns. The MyRide goes on sale a few times a year at Target for $105-110 anyway, and with a Red Card you can often get more off, etc.

On FB, the Evenflo SureRide came up. It is a good seat but has more quirks and is more difficult to install. I'd recommend it with the caveat search on it and read about the issues before deciding.

Of course, your kids are so small for so long, you could get REALLY GOOD use out of something like the Safety 1st OnBoard (Air or Deluxe) which is rear-facing to 35 lbs. with a tall shell, has a lockoff (the non-Deluxe doesn't) and is often found under $120... Then you'd have more time to save for a different convertible for later if desired, or move your kids around in the seats you have and get oldest a new combination seat or booster.

longstocking

These are the seats I'm going to start looking for and researching. I also don't know what a good deal on them is, anyone help me out?
*Safety 1st OnBoard (Air or Deluxe) - $120 or less
*Graco MyRide - $110 or less
*Evenflo Triumph 65
Chicco Nextfit - is it really $299 at BRU? Wow, never mind. Guess I won't be finding that one in my price range either.
Maxi Cosi Pria looks awesome ... doubtful I could find it in my $150 and under price range though

Kel

I love the MY ride. And my favorite color is the Royale cover at BRU. It a deep purple. Good for boys and girls. It's soft and plush. I think I paid 125 or so at the trade in.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC