Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Cargo divider help

Currently, I have no divider or tie-down for things in the back of my SUV. I know this isn't safe.

Here's the back of my car, red circles are where there are tie-down anchors. There are no anchors on the ceiling.

I would like to have a divider that goes from the ceiling of my car down to the trunk base, like this:

Any idea how to achieve this or something similar? Maybe a rigid barrier? But they all seem to just be pressure-mounted.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Cargo divider help

Without anchors in the ceiling, you won't be able to replicate that net barrier. You could use the same type of barrier, just anchor it to the 4 anchors you have, and just undo the two near the tailgate to access stuff. Like a trunk with the net for the door, KWIM? Ratcheted tie downs would let you adjust how "tall" your net cover was, so it would secure the big stuff.
    Mama to 6 awesome kiddos

What do you think of this? http://www.cargocatch.com/rubicon-interior-net.html

And is it okay to hook on the headrests like in the picture?
    Last edited by abbyful; 06-18-2013 at 07:37 AM.

I don't think headrests would be a good tether point. I would tether the thing to your tiedown anchors or the carseat tether anchors on the back of the seat.

Why are you wanting to tether it to the headrests and not the anchors? Will you be using it in the backseat or over the cargo area?

ETA: I would personally be ok with putting it OVER the headrests, as long as it was secured to the tiedown anchors in the back, to lift the thing up a bit so that it would be easier to get stuff in/out. You just don't want the headrests to bear load in a crash, I'm not sure they would hold.
    Mama to 6 awesome kiddos

Quote Originally Posted by danivdp View Post
    Without anchors in the ceiling, you won't be able to replicate that net barrier. You could use the same type of barrier, just anchor it to the 4 anchors you have, and just undo the two near the tailgate to access stuff. Like a trunk with the net for the door, KWIM? Ratcheted tie downs would let you adjust how "tall" your net cover was, so it would secure the big stuff.
    I went to have our new seat checked this weekend, and asked this same question (not sure why I never thought about securing my stroller & other cargo before, oops!). The tech suggested the same thing quoted above. They sell nets that attach to those lower floor anchors.
    She also suggested, that if I don't need the whole area, to pop up my 3rd row and put the stroller on its side in the remaining cargo space. It looks like you have a 3rd row that could pop up as well? That way, the stroller couldn't go flying back to the passengers in the second row. She suggested putting small stuff in the 3rd row footwells, if needed.
    I haven't tried it yet, but I never would have thought of that on my own & I'd imagine it would work pretty well!