United Airline location for car seat

MariahMichaels

We will be flying United Airline in October, our daughter will be a month away from her 3rd Birthday. We have already purchased our seats, it's a small plane with only one aisle. Hubby will be sitting next to our daughter during the flight and I will be across the aisle. Our seats are in the row in front of the emergency exit. I'm wondering if this was a bad idea, since we plan to use her Radian RXT ff during the 3 hour flight. Does anyone know if this is a no no? I can't find anything on United Airlines website regarding car seat arrangements except for the fact that it has to be installed in a window seat for one aisle aircrafts. This is our first time flying with our daughter.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Hi there!

The airline will likely not allow car seats to be installed in the row in front of or behind an exit row due to safety procedures.

The good news, though, is that they have to let you use the car seat since the child has a ticket, and one of you will need to be next to your daughter since you'd need to help her out in an emergency. So they'll have to move people around to accommodate you. That might mean that you and your husband won't be across the aisle from each other, though.

This blog post has tons of information on the FAA's car seat regulations, broken down so it's easy to understand: http://carseatblog.com/22134/flying-with-a-car-seat-know-your-rights/

cantabdad

I'd change your seat assignments as soon as possible -- online or by phone. If you wait to do it at the airport it can be tricky as the gate agents and flight attendants are very busy getting the flight out, and some of them don't understand the nuances of carseat seat assignment rules.

We had a problem with US Airways last time, as they re-assigned us to 4 non-adjacent aisle seats and the gate agent refused to help. We ended up pre-boarding, occupying the seats we needed and essentially obliging the rightful owners of those seats to switch with us. I filed a complaint with USDOT Consumer Affairs and you should do the same if United gives you any trouble. It does no good for them to say that you can use your carseat if they then refuse to assign you a seat where it can be used.

MariahMichaels

I went online and changed our seat reservations. Exit row is 12, so I booked row 10 for our flight out and row 14 for our return flight. Thank you so much for helping me with this. I will also be taking a look at the link you provided, since this is our first time flying with our daughter I'm sure we will have more questions.

lanwenyi

Just a heads up, some airlines restrict carseats from 2 rows in front and 2 rows behind exit rows. I can't remember if united is one of them. It is not always enforced, but I have had my group broken up because of it. I'd move your seats 1 more row just to be safe.

on my phone, please forgive my autocorrect

~*Jen*~

Sorry if I'm repeating anything but the reason they can't be behind or in front of the emergency row exit, I was told (by the airline--at least Delta) was because of how those seats collapse to allow people the space to get off of the plane. Inevitably, whenever I've booked a flight for us, those rows are the only ones available. I try to make it a point to check in early and have them reassign us. Even if they can't do it officially, the flight attendents have typically been good about getting us somewhere else when we board before everyone else.

I can't speak for United itself, though. They were just mean and rude about my car seat use.

MariahMichaels

Thanks! I went ahead and moved us to row 16, that's second to the last row (17). Is there any rules for being seated here with a car seat? We are flying in a Canadair Regional Jet 700. Hopefully our Radian RXT will fit into the seat ff.

lanwenyi

Thanks! I went ahead and moved us to row 16, that's second to the last row (17). Is there any rules for being seated here with a car seat? We are flying in a Canadair Regional Jet 700. Hopefully our Radian RXT will fit into the seat ff.

Nope. That should be fine. The RXT will fit great in the seat forward facing, but is unlikely to fit rear facing. If you plan to rear face at your destination (which, at 2yo, i highly rec) be sure to pack the rf boot in your carry on luggage.

I hate traveling with radians (I've done it before and you could never pay me enough to do it again), but other people like it fine, so I wish you well on your trip. Have fun!

Eta: do you have the backpack straps for the radian? You NEED them OR a luggage cart/bungee cords-to-a-rolling-suitcase for hauling that beast through the airport or you will hate yourselves for bringing a 26(ish) lb monster with you and trying to carry it on one shoulder. Since you a flying a regional jet, I'm going to assume a small airport, not LAX, Chicago, JFK, Atlanta, or Denver-sized, but that beast will still get heavy fast, even in airports the size of moline, Hilo, Cedar Rapids, etc

on my phone, please forgive my autocorrect

Last edited:

creideamh

^ agreed! We fly RJs often and never had a problem with any seat (though I tend to take light and/or narrow seats, not like Britax monsters.) The Radian will fit fine FF; I would not attempt to RF, however...especially with an almost 3 y/o! Bungee it onto a small luggage cart for sure. Don't stress- it'll be fine!! :)

Eclipsepearl

FYI, United doesn't have any planes that small. It's likely to be a subcontracted regional company, even if the outside is painted with the logo.

Not sure if you need to know that but in case there is any question about contacting them, you might not get far with United.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC