Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Bringing goodies to a seat check?

I'm going to overwork some techs at a seat check tomorrow (5 installed seats in a suburban). In the rain. Would it be appropriate to bring them some goodies as a thanks? Any idea what?

Jean

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Bringing goodies to a seat check?

Maybe a small gift certificate ($5-10) to a local place for lunch or drinks. (Starbucks, Panera, etc) A bonus if it's close to the seat check location. I think it's just nice you're thinking about it!

As a tech, I'd be thankful even for a note saying "Thank You". I usually get $20 tips for a private check (Me meeting another parent, not with an organized seat check or through Safekids.) but have never gotten anything at a Safekids check other than the water and subs that BabiesRUs gave us.

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
    6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
    4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
    18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65

How many techs are likely to work on my seats? 1? 2? More? I can probably swing $15 or so for treats, so I can get 3 $5 starbucks cards (there's one in the mall where the check is) or 5 $3 ones...

I don't really know. I know that at our checks it's usually one or two techs, and maybe three if the instructor/head tech comes over to help. (They always send me alone...I guess they think I know what I'm doing!)

I would say that 3 cards would be fine. Don't feel like you HAVE to do anything. You are really nice to think about it. I would look at a Suburban with 5 seats as a fun challenge :-)

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
    6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
    4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
    18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

I agree with Joy. Just having your car come in would be fun enough for me. :-) A grandmother came in on Wednesday with a new Triumph Advance and I practically danced around begging to help install it. Having people say, "I'm SO glad I stopped, thank you so much!" is enough for me. I don't accept money, and the only gift I've accepted is a new used cover for my Wizard. If someone handed me a gift card for Starbucks or something, I'd appreciate it, but I wouldn't expect it. A $5 card would be lovely, just to get a drink and a snack.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

I agree with Wendy. I don't accept money, but I never say no to a smoothie or cup of coffee.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

How thoughtful of you!

You could consider a cash donation to the organization that's putting on the event, whether it be a Safe Kids coalition, a public health department, or something else. Believe me, their CPS programs are always underfunded, and I'm sure any donation will be greatly appreciated.

Also keep in mind some techs may not be allowed to accept tips. For example, if they're a police officer and they're on the clock for the event, there may be rules against accepting extra money or gifts. That doesn't mean you shouldn't offer if you feel it's the right thing to do. I just want you to be prepared in case they can't take it.

Just having your car come in would be fun enough for me.

Well yes, there is that, but I think folks around here are the exception rather than the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by nisi View Post
    Well yes, there is that, but I think folks around here are the exception rather than the rule.
    You can say that again. I did a check in the rain last night.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley