Whats wrong with my car?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I had just gotten done with a bunch of errands and was pulling into my driveway. I stopped just a few feet in because there were kids and bikes in the way, and I noticed the car was shaking like crazy. I pulled the rest of the way in (after the kids and bikes moved), and it was still shaking. Put it in park, still shaking. I turned it off, had DH get in, and the same thing happened.

Any idea what it is? (DH is at the dealer now, but I'm impatient and curious.)

It's a 2010 Odyssey...I have no idea how many miles. We have it regularly serviced. Last time was a couple months ago. I hadn't noticed it doing anything weird until I got to the driveway.

I did kind of run over a large curb a couple weeks ago. (It was somewhat intentional. I needed to go over the curb, but DH noticed a piece of metal in the way so I stopped for him to get out and move it. Of course I'd lost my momentum, and I gunned it a little too hard :eek:. I might have damaged something underneath, I suppose.)

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Just got a call from DH. The engine light is on, but no diagnostic codes are coming up. They're going to let it cool down a bit and try again.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes! There was a service bulletin for a spark plug issue, so they replaced those. The battery needed to be replaced, too, and something else (not related), and almost all of it was covered under warranty. Yay!

StillThankful

Yes! There was a service bulletin for a spark plug issue, so they replaced those. The battery needed to be replaced, too, and something else (not related), and almost all of it was covered under warranty. Yay!

Cool! Same thing happened to my car (1st generation odyssey) not too long ago. Changed the spark plug wires and voila good as new! :thumbsup:

soph's mom

You could also have cracked a motor mount... If it cracked but then failed later it could explain the shaking. It's fairly new to be that issue though unless you have really high miles or hit that curb REALLY hard...

The battery would have absolutely nothing to do with it... The plugs could make the engine miss but shouldn't make it shake. Technicians are trained to make a list of anything they can try to get you replaced bc technically it's time whether they're bad or not and then the service advisors try to sell you it all... They both get paid by how much they sell... Sorry to tell you this...

I worked in a very highly rated honda parts and service dept for several years before dd was born... Hope it fixes the problem somehow tho...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You could also have cracked a motor mount... If it cracked but then failed later it could explain the shaking. It's fairly new to be that issue though unless you have really high miles or hit that curb REALLY hard...

The battery would have absolutely nothing to do with it... The plugs could make the engine miss but shouldn't make it shake. Technicians are trained to make a list of anything they can try to get you replaced bc technically it's time whether they're bad or not and then the service advisors try to sell you it all... They both get paid by how much they sell... Sorry to tell you this...

I worked in a very highly rated honda parts and service dept for several years before dd was born... Hope it fixes the problem somehow tho...

Oh yeah, the battery had nothing to do with it, nor did the other unrelated thing. We had been thinking it was time for a new battery anyway. Hopefully the spark plug issue was the cause. I think everything cost $58, so if they were trying to up-sell, they didn't do a very good job ;)

soph's mom

Oh yeah, the battery had nothing to do with it, nor did the other unrelated thing. We had been thinking it was time for a new battery anyway. Hopefully the spark plug issue was the cause. I think everything cost $58, so if they were trying to up-sell, they didn't do a very good job ;)

That's good! They must have replaced your battery and the plugs under warranty too bc the battery itself is usually over $100 and the 6 plugs would probably be close to $60. Stay with that dealer! Most people having what you had done would've paid over $300! Send them a good review! American Honda rates the dealers and it helps them :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC