Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

Whats wrong with my car?

I had just gotten done with a bunch of errands and was pulling into my driveway. I stopped just a few feet in because there were kids and bikes in the way, and I noticed the car was shaking like crazy. I pulled the rest of the way in (after the kids and bikes moved), and it was still shaking. Put it in park, still shaking. I turned it off, had DH get in, and the same thing happened.

Any idea what it is? (DH is at the dealer now, but I'm impatient and curious.)

It's a 2010 Odyssey...I have no idea how many miles. We have it regularly serviced. Last time was a couple months ago. I hadn't noticed it doing anything weird until I got to the driveway.

I did kind of run over a large curb a couple weeks ago. (It was somewhat intentional. I needed to go over the curb, but DH noticed a piece of metal in the way so I stopped for him to get out and move it. Of course I'd lost my momentum, and I gunned it a little too hard . I might have damaged something underneath, I suppose.)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Just got a call from DH. The engine light is on, but no diagnostic codes are coming up. They're going to let it cool down a bit and try again.

Senior Community Member

Re: Whats wrong with my car?

Sounds like what my Impala did last year when there was water in the gas tank

CPS Fanatic
    It could be so many things. My car did that when I stopped. It was the coil pack. My friends was her water pump.

Any updates?

Perhaps a spark plug wire is loose or damaged?

C~9/06 Boostered in FR85 Livia & Maui C~2/09 Boostered in GN Daisy & Julia
    Driving in 2005 Toyota Camry & 1994 Honda Accord

Yes! There was a service bulletin for a spark plug issue, so they replaced those. The battery needed to be replaced, too, and something else (not related), and almost all of it was covered under warranty. Yay!

8. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    Yes! There was a service bulletin for a spark plug issue, so they replaced those. The battery needed to be replaced, too, and something else (not related), and almost all of it was covered under warranty. Yay!
    Cool! Same thing happened to my car (1st generation odyssey) not too long ago. Changed the spark plug wires and voila good as new!

C~9/06 Boostered in FR85 Livia & Maui C~2/09 Boostered in GN Daisy & Julia
    Driving in 2005 Toyota Camry & 1994 Honda Accord

You could also have cracked a motor mount... If it cracked but then failed later it could explain the shaking. It's fairly new to be that issue though unless you have really high miles or hit that curb REALLY hard...

The battery would have absolutely nothing to do with it... The plugs could make the engine miss but shouldn't make it shake. Technicians are trained to make a list of anything they can try to get you replaced bc technically it's time whether they're bad or not and then the service advisors try to sell you it all... They both get paid by how much they sell... Sorry to tell you this...

I worked in a very highly rated honda parts and service dept for several years before dd was born... Hope it fixes the problem somehow tho...
    Soph- 9-10-10 riding in radians RXT, XTSL, and 65SL
    John- 5-03-13 our angel...
    Rucker- 10-14-14 riding in a coccoro & snugride
    (Poor guy- took me over a month to add his info!)

Senior Community Member happiness-and-balance's Avatar
    Woo-hoo for most of it being covered by warranty! That stuff gets expensive, quick..
    -Angela

Quote Originally Posted by soph's mom View Post
    You could also have cracked a motor mount... If it cracked but then failed later it could explain the shaking. It's fairly new to be that issue though unless you have really high miles or hit that curb REALLY hard...

The battery would have absolutely nothing to do with it... The plugs could make the engine miss but shouldn't make it shake. Technicians are trained to make a list of anything they can try to get you replaced bc technically it's time whether they're bad or not and then the service advisors try to sell you it all... They both get paid by how much they sell... Sorry to tell you this...

I worked in a very highly rated honda parts and service dept for several years before dd was born... Hope it fixes the problem somehow tho...
    Oh yeah, the battery had nothing to do with it, nor did the other unrelated thing. We had been thinking it was time for a new battery anyway. Hopefully the spark plug issue was the cause. I think everything cost $58, so if they were trying to up-sell, they didn't do a very good job

Oh yeah, the battery had nothing to do with it, nor did the other unrelated thing. We had been thinking it was time for a new battery anyway. Hopefully the spark plug issue was the cause. I think everything cost $58, so if they were trying to up-sell, they didn't do a very good job
    That's good! They must have replaced your battery and the plugs under warranty too bc the battery itself is usually over $100 and the 6 plugs would probably be close to $60. Stay with that dealer! Most people having what you had done would've paid over $300! Send them a good review! American Honda rates the dealers and it helps them :-)
    Soph- 9-10-10 riding in radians RXT, XTSL, and 65SL
    John- 5-03-13 our angel...
    Rucker- 10-14-14 riding in a coccoro & snugride
    (Poor guy- took me over a month to add his info!)

Same thing happened to my dads f150. Bad spark plug wire.