2011 Odyssey or 2012 Maxda5?

maddie80

We are in the process of replacing our main family car. We have 2 kiddos in carseats (one 5 pt booster, one rearfacing convertible), and often bring along a grandparent or a friend. The typical 5 seater has not been working for us, but we don't always need a third row. I can't decide if a full sized minivan is overkill, or not.

We testdrove a newer odyssey, as well as a mazda5, and I like both models. The mazda5 appeals to me because it's smaller and easier to drive, but it's definitely a little more limited in space and cramped.

The odyssey, especially the 2011 and newer models, seem awesome, and drive fabulously. But - it is very large.

One factor for us is also holding value (we plan to hang on to this car for a looong time) and how it handles on snow and ice.

I am debating between a 2011 odyssey with 30k miles and a practically new 2012 mazda5. Help!

ADS

jasminegrl

i really like my 2013 mazda 5 but it can be cramped depending on what you are doing, we've only driven it on very slightly snowed on roads but with proper snow tires i would be comfortable with driving it on snow and ice. We have driven ours cross country in November with a roof box and it did fantastically through the mountains even with slight snow. A roof box also helps with the space issue. It can be taken off on the day to day driving and excursions but i can put it back on when we say go to the zoo and need the double stroller plus cooler and have the grandparents with us.

jasminegrl

while we were home visiting family we had 3-4 adults 2 carseats, my mil and husband are on the shorter side so they rode in the 3rd row with the two rfing car seats in the middle. Now on average i have 2/3 adults and 3/4 kids all rfing, it is hit or miss on which rfing seats fit well in the 3rd row though. Obviously i don't have 3 adults and 4 kids in the car at the same time lol. I'm able to have both my front seats all the way back if needed with a rf radian and a rf evenflo triumph in the middle and a rf coccoro in the 3rd row, a smaller stroller will fit in the "truck space" with the 3rd row up, we have a nice "umbrella fold" stroller that fits and our double will fit with one of the 3rd row seats down, i use tie down straps to keep it in one place and make sure the wheels are on the outside away from the carseat. I'll take some pictures when i load up my kiddos in acouple minutes, I have to leave to pick up my husband from the air terminal here soon.

maddie80

Thank you!!!!

We would be mostly two adults, plus a rearfacing convertible (Pria) and a frontier. I was thinking we'd try the frontier in the back row, and put the convertible in the 2nd row, leaving one of the 2nd row captains chairs open for grandma. :)

allisonrose

I currently have a 2007 Mazda5. I don't think the size of them has changed significantly.

The space in the third row is a tad cramped. The manual states to push the second row seats back if you install carseats in them. So with my second row having the seats pushed back, there is not much legroom in the third row. When my dad and stepmom visited, I moved the carseats in the third row (RF Radian and RF True Fit) and left the middle row for adults. There isn't much cargo space with the third row of seats up: you can fit an umbrella stroller or some carry ons but a large suitcase or full size stroller would not.

It does handle much like a car and the gas mileage is good. I have nearly no experience driving in snow with it.

I currently have a Dodge Grand Caravan as a rental due to my Mazda5 needing repairs. The minivan is spacious compared to the Mazda! However it is definitely a larger vehicle with a wider turning radius.

I'm not sure we will stay with the Mazda long term. We purchased it used and have had to put more money into it than we anticipated. It is also finicky about the gas cap being tight and will pop up the check engine light when it is loose. We on are the fence about having another child so I think if we go for it, we would definitely want something bigger.

katymyers

I can tell you my Mazda5 does not handle very well in the snow. I've always driven small cars and I'm used to the Idaho winters so I don't mind terribly, mine's also a standard not an automatic which I think helps. I do HIGHLY recommend snow tires, don't just go for the all-season because it won't be good enough in that car.

threeundertwo

We traded in our 2010 Mazda5 for a 2011 Odyssey about 6 months ago and LOVE the Odyssey. We also have three RFers as a one-vehicle family, plus a boarder who lives with us. So we frequently needed space for 6 people and sometimes more since family don't live in town and fly in to visit us. The Mazda was workable but a serious pain for doing anything other than driving around town. The Odyssey gets almost the same mileage on the highway and we just have so much more space. I love it! If you think the Mazda5 might be cramped for you (and it sounds like that's a concern), I would go with the Odyssey.

SavsMom

I think it really depends on how often you expect to haul more people in the vehicle.
We have #2 arriving in Sept and have debated car, van, crossover, sub many times. I keep coming back to the Mazda 5 because its not too big, will fit 2 kids nicely and will work for the few times we need room for another person. If I knew I would have additional passengers on a regular basis I would look at a van like the Odyssey or Sienna.

Dave88LX

With two kids, and (me at least) not knowing if you're going to have a third (or more), plus needing to provide duty for adults (and all the gear that goes along with having a kid), I would opt for the larger vehicle.

Last edited:

davina_21

just a note about the Mazda 5 - The manual REQUIRES you to have the middle row seats pushed all the way back when you have a child seat installed. That pretty much means you can't use the seat behind it.

I live in Toronto, Canada and I drive this car every day in the winter with snow tires and I think it handles really well. If you know how to winter drive, it should be no problem.

Personally, if you can swing it, I think the Ody is way more convenient. You get used to how large it is fairly easily.

That said, you're gonna NEED snow tires for it. IMO, it sucks pretty badly on the stock tires. In Tahoe, most people don't have snow tires. They just drive up with stock tires and put on chains as needed. The Odyssey (both 2011+ and older) always runs into trouble. Far, far more than any other vehicle that I've seen. Totally anecdotal, but I got stuck at a set of railroad tracks in our Odyssey for a bit. I worked my way out of it, but that's cuz I grew up learning how to drive in the mountains. Still, it was hairy. If I'd been in any other car, I don't think I woulda gotten stuck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC