Not loving the Maestro I just received

allisonrose

I planned to use the Maestro as a travel and back up seat. I like the price and that it is so lightweight. I do not like how the straps are digging into my son's neck.

My questions: is the Evenflo SecureKids 300 as narrow in the neck region? That was my plan B but the Maestro seduced me with its price tag.

What seats harness over 40 lbs, are reasonably light weight and don't cost an arm and a leg? I used to travel with a Scenera but my guy has outgrown that (he is 41-42 lbs and about 42 inches) and I don't feel comfortable putting him in a booster (he is 4.5 years old and not mature for his age).

ADS

mom of six

Yes, the SecrueKid is built on the same shell as the Maestro so it will have the same width between straps.

I would suggest the Harmony Defender. It can be adjusted taller than the Maestro, the straps are farther apart, and it makes a pretty good booster when it is time. It isn't as light weight as the Evenflo seats but it is not as heavy as the Frontier. They are $99 at walmart so more expensive than a Maestro but less than a SecureKid.

aporthole

The Defender also has harness covers to help be more comfortable on the neck. My 4 year old has a Maestro in my hubby's car. If the Defender had been available when we got the Maestro a little over a year ago, I would have gone with that instead. The Maestro serves its purpose well, and my son has only complained about the harness straps once, so he doesn't seem to mind it that much.

allisonrose

I am considering the Defender as a primary seat for this same child but ruled it out as a travel seat 1. it is a bit heavy and 2. it requires zero overhang (my travel seat will need to be installed into several different vehicles).

I think I will install the Maestro and take him for a few rides and see if he complains.

mominabigtruck

Personally, I'd take the maestro over the defender as a travel seat. I have not had good luck with the defender installation wise and thought it was pretty heavy.

If the straps really bother you I would cut a pair of thin socks and stick them on just so it doesn't rub his neck. Although, my large 4yo just outgrew it and he never complained so it might not even be an issue for you.

cookie123

Matthew has been riding in the Secure Kid 400 for quite some time - probably when it first came out - and hasn't complained so far. :)

allisonrose

My son has been sitting in the Maestro for a couple of days and hasn't said anything about the harness straps bothering his neck. I haven't noticed any red marks in his neck either. So I think it will work for a travel/back up seat after all. :)

longstocking

I get shame from some car seat techs for what I'm about to tell you but my boys both have the Maestro (ages 4 and 5). I had strap covers from other seats that I slipped on there. They still complain sometimes but it has been a good seat. Their poor necks were so red without the covers :-(

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
One suggestion if it is an issue with your child is to lower the chest clip a little bit if you currently have it at armpit level. I know we teach "armpit level" but the chest clip doesn't really have to be up that high to position the straps properly and keep them on the child's shoulders. The truth is that anywhere in the mid-chest area is fine.

The chest clip on the Maestro and SecureKid is kind of narrow and it pulls the harness straps closer together. The higher the chest clip, the more likely the straps are to rub against the child's neck. Try lowering it an inch or two and see if that makes enough of a difference to make it tolerable for the child.

bnsnyde

We just bought a Securekid 300 for our 3.5-year-old as a spare...and I liked it so much it's his primary seat now! The head wings are very big and provide good coverage, while the Maestro felt too shallow.

He is the same stats as your child just a year younger, plus a tall torso. The Radian kept going below his shoulders and now I'm hoping to make it to 5 before boostering! Guess we'd have to buy a Frontier if need be. He does not seem mature to me and he is in back where I can't see.

I just find the buckle difficult since I buckle from behind, in the trunk of the van. If I taught him how to do it...he might undo it in a fit. So for now it's just a big pain that I'll continue to do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC