First flight: carry on a booster?

wondering1

We received our Graco Air Booster yesterday to use in taxis or the hotel shuttle on a trip. DC is 5 years old and 40-41 lbs. Thanks to everyone who helped us decide on which booster to go with.

In just 10 days we will be traveling. One parent and one child traveling alone with no assistance at any point in the trip. First in our car (Regent), then plane - short direct flight (plane seatbelt), then bus (nothing unless a AMSAFE CARES harness turns up), then taxi or shuttle (graco air booster).

It is easy to take the back off the booster and put it back on. I don't think I can take the headrest off the back - which makes it too large to fit in any of our already owned luggage.

We are hoping to carry everything on. I don't have a carry-on wheeled bag or cart, yet. I can get a cheapie wheeled bag for $17.99 from buy.com using $10 off with google check out. I don't know how well it would do with something strapped on to it.

Do you think Southwest will allow us to carry on one bag, the booster base, the booster back and a small purse type bag? For those new to this, boosters can only be used with lap/shoulder belt combinations and, therefore, cannot be used on planes.

If I can get the headrest off the back, I could check a big wheeled bag in containing just those parts (back and headrest) and simply carry on the booster base.

I was thinking that the bus may be a concern with the seat being damaged while stowed, also. I hadn't thought about that before.

The base and back make a pretty compact space when the back is placed in the base. I don't know if the airline will balk or not.

My sister may be able to find her old car seat bag she used for travel but I'm not sure if the booster will fit in that either.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Between the two ticketed passengers you have enough carry on space to carry everything on. The suitcase and booster base can count as the "big" one for each of you, then the purse and back as your personal items. Or something similar. I can't imagine they would hassle you too much, especially if the back is very flat and can simply lay over the top of your bag in the overhead compartment. I don't know the Air to know how flat or big it is.

Wendy

canadianmom2three

We just flew southwest and saw some pretty dubious sized carry on items, and no fuss made over any of them. We also arrived basically last in line (due to late disney bus) for a totally sold out flight and I'm a bit embarassed to say we jumped into the families with children 4 and under line (OK, DS did just turn 5 a week earlier, but he is a very big 5) and again no problems, they let us on first (phew - since DS 10 and DD 7 are VERY nervous fliers). As an added note, I was extremely impressed with southwest, DS dropped his crayons as we boarded, they fell to the ground below, and the stewardess had the pilot go down and get them and bring them to DS in his seat - very thoughtful!!

wondering1

Awesome, I really do enjoy flying SW.

Perhaps on the bus, if there is an empty seat, I can strap the booster to an empty seat. Otherwise I may need to have it boxed or bubblewraped. The bus ride is 3.5 - 4 hours each way,

In the airport it may be nice to have the base straped to my back and the back straped to the carry on bag. I'll have to get creative.

Thanks for making me feel more confident about the flight!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC