Quick advice please

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Would be much appreciated. I lurk more than I post, but I lurk a lot.

Right now I have two large carseats in the back of my Subaru Forester. A person couldn't fit between them.

It's raining hard. I am going to drive to pick up my daughter at the bus stop (leaving in 30 minutes). Our next-door neighbor rides the bus too. He's 11, approximately 5', slender.

I'd like to offer him a ride home too. Do y'all think I could let him sit in the front seat? We'll be driving two short blocks in an extremely quiet rural neighborhood.

I *so* don't want to uninstall a seat and then reinstall it in the pouring rain -- I need both seats tomorrow morning.

ADS

natysr

Well, he is taller than I am. I'd let him ride in the front in that instance and just put the passenger seat as far back as possible.

MomToEliEm

I would feel okay with a 5' tall 11 year old in the front seat. Just so long as the front passenger seat wasn't pushed up too close to the airbag.

jennsmile

I would A, see if he can fit between the two carseats and B, put him in the front seat with the seat ALL the way back.

Jenn

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yes, I'd put my daughter behind me and push the passenger seat all the way back. I'm sure he'd be 12" from the airbag.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I think the front would be fine for a 5 ft tall kid. That's taller than at least half the women in my family:D

FWIW: my 11 yo ride in the front unless there's another adult with me. She gets really horribly car sick in the back seat ( was better when she rode in a 5 pt). Poor thing throws up about every 5 miles when riding in the back. I just can't put her through that, especially since we drive at least 70 miles a day. She's 5'2" so I'm pretty comfortable her in front.

Kimberly

I wouldn't have a problem with it personally, given his height, and of course that you can push the seat far enough back from the airbag. Dh and I let our son ride in front a few times before he hit the magic "12" because he fits in the adult seatbelt, even being under 5'. Guess he's long-torsoed? We've got a mix of torso lengths amongst our kidlets... Anyhow, we just made sure the seat was pushed back far enough, and that he sat correctly for the ride. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC