What is the norm for a child to be turned FF in the US?

A

~April~

I am writing a persuasive speech and I have been trying to find this info, but I am not have any luck. I am hoping that someone on here can help. On average what age does babies in the US get turned around? I can leave this bit out, but the speech would be more powerful if I had this information in there.

I know the recommendations, and I practice ERFing myself. My 6 year old was RF until she was 3 and my 2.5 year old is still RFing.

Thanks!

ADS

EmmaGrace'sMom

I would say 10 years ago it was 10 months, before higher weight limits...and because they were "close enough" to a year. Now, it's probably in the 12-14 month range because 12 months was drilled for so long, and people are gradually getting on the ERF wagon.

Baylor

Im not sure. At one point I would have said 1 year because that was what was drummed into us for years, But I have a neighbor across the street rfing her 15 month old and my neighbor to the left has her 18 month old dd rfing in a Marathon... So I don't know anymore..

I still see the occasional early ffer but as a rule I am seeing more and more erf, ( over a year)

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
A couple of years ago, there was a poll conducted by the The University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children's Hospital National Poll on Children's Health. I remembered starting a thread about it (http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=192271). You may be able to use the info in the thread to find the source article, and see if it's been updated since then or if the results of that poll could be helpful to you. You could also look into the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, because they do a lot of research into child safety. :)

hgpswimmer4

I think it's definitely between 12 and 18 months. The lady who works at my fave coffee shop in town has her son who will be 2 in Sept. he is still RFing. The oldest RF-er I've seen in person was 2 years. I've never seen a 3 or 4yo rear-facing in person.

Phineasmama

All the people I'm friends with on facebook from high school (small, midwestern town, very limited education opportunities, nothing to do, etc) turn their kids forward facing on their first birthday at the latest. Usually I see them in boosters around 3-4 years old too.

carseatmama007

In my group of friends/family/etc, it's usually somewhere around 10-18 months. People that RF to 18 months are considered the "overprotective" ones. Imagine how they all felt when they saw my daughter RFing at 4.5 yo :p

Ali

Most people I know turn their child FF around their 1st birthday. A few that I had convinced to RF until DC met the RF limits turned their child at 2 because of the new APA recommendations! :doh:

My DD RF until she was 3 1/2.

I try very hard to call it RF to the limits of the seat and NOT extended RF because I have found some people interpret "extended" as strange or abnormal.

tiggercat

I think it depends on what demographic you are looking at.
If I look at my close friends (many of whom I've brought over to the dark side to becoming CRST's), most rearface to around 2-3 years old.
If I look at acquaintances and colleagues, I'd say most turn around 12m.
If I look at parents attending carseat clinics, many parents come to clinics for help flipping their children around 12-15m, and leave still rearfacing after some education.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I find it to be anywhere between 12 and 24 months. I'm always thrilled to see 2yos RFing!

tam_shops

I find it to be anywhere between 12 and 24 months. I'm always thrilled to see 2yos RFing!

I think it's got to be more like this b/c while *most* people may still turn at around a year, *some* people turn at 18mth when they outgrow those bigger 30# buckets and a *few* people turn at 2yo+ and a very select few people turn at 2yo+++.

So, if you are after an *average*, you've got to include those longer ones (and probably few <1yo) into the mathematical mix...

Best of luck! It's a great question, wonder if BBC has done a poll that you could use a little more officially?

tam

Last edited:

Stelvis

I'm noticing on my FB feed that over the past year or two there are many, many more RF one year olds than there were 4 years ago.

katymyers

I see more parents waiting instead of just automatically doing it on their child's first birthday. I think the new AAP guidelines helped but I really think bigger infant seats with higher weight and height limits have helped even more, most people I meet don't even realize you can use a convertible rear facing and I think most people in my area forward face when the infant seat is outgrown.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC