Vent So disappointed with Diono/Sunshine Kids

LittlePeanut

I have a parent who owns 3 Radians (DOM 08/2006) and 2 Montereys (2010). One of the Radian harness ratchet casings has become dislodged and the bolts that once held it in place, no longer exist. The mother came in for a car seat check (I'm a CRST in Canada) and was not aware this was a safety issue. She also couldn't understand how her 4 year old 40 lb child was no longer able to fit in the seat as the harness was just not long enough. I measured the harness length against my 2009 model and (no surprise to me) they were 5 full inches SHORTER (32" vs 37"). I recalled this being a concern back in 2006 as I once owned the same seat, so this was something I knew to look for but the mother had no reason to know this or be concerned about it until recently. That made the top harness position totally unusable for any sized child. The mother had no reason to know this until she needed to move the straps up to the last position recently. She had been using the broken casing, not realizing that this was a safety issue.

I contacted Diono Canada on her behalf and they are unwilling to do anything. I just wish there was more I could do to help her out. I will be contacting the person who makes the decisions, as to whether to replace a seat or not, this week to see if he's willing to do anything (he's already said "no," via a c/s person). While I understand the seat is only good for another year and a bit, that's a WHOLE EXTRA YEAR this mother will NOT be getting out of her seats. She would have been satisfied with replacements that only last that year but obviously there are none that age left in stock. I'm willing to bet she would have been happy to just get one seat to replace the broken one as her 2 year old likely won't need the extra strap length before it expires next Summer.

I have contacted Transport Canada online to report the defect. Is there anything else that anyone can think of that I can do to help her out? She is due with her 5th child at the end of this month and this a stress and expense she simply does not need!

Photos for those who would like to see the broken casement:

TIA

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
You could try asking if they would be willing to buy the seat back for research and testing of the defect. I've had really good luck with Graco and Evenflo using that tactic. It probably won't be the full purchase price of the seat, but it will be something.

canadiangie

Have you emailed with Eric Boudreau at Diono?

Did you go at this from a short-strapped standpoint or a broken cam lock standpoint? SKJP always dug their heels in on the short-strap issue, but cam lock issues I've had great success with.

LittlePeanut

I went at it from both angles... 3 SKJP seats with 4 different issues. I haven't tried Eric, who is he? I was given the contact info for Robert Hicks. Seriously, how can they ignore the broken cam lock (thanks for the correct terminology)?!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I went at it from both angles... 3 SKJP seats with 4 different issues. I haven't tried Eric, who is he? I was given the contact info for Robert Hicks. Seriously, how can they ignore the broken cam lock (thanks for the correct terminology)?!

Robert is in the Canadian office and he's definitely the best person to contact in Canada. Had the mom tried to contact Diono first and is she going to follow up with them?

diono

Hello there,

There must be some miscommunication and I do apologize. Robert Hicks is fully aware of the situation and has been waiting for her to contact him. If you prefer, you may send me her contact information to my email and I will send it to him. allana.pinkerton@diono.com.

He will work with the mom to resolve the issue. Please reach out to either one of us.

Best regards!

allergenmomma

Has anyone else had issues with the cam lock of their Diono RXT seat? I emailed Diono US customer service because the cam lock on my RXT is no longer returning to the locked position after I pull the harness adjuster strap to tighten (see image below). My seat was manufactured in 9/2012 but they said the cam lock is not a part that can be replaced and I have to buy a new seat.

I understand that I am out of warranty but Diono advertises their seats as having "10 year life from the date of purchase" - if the cam lock is no longer functioning at less than 6 years from manufacture then how can it claim 10 years of life? I spoke with customer service and explained that I am not asking for replacement of seat fabric or belt or chest clip - I am willing to purchase these replacements when needed - but the cam lock is part of the structure of the seat and the thing holding my child in place.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC