Question Selling a Car Seat = Hypocritical?

1mommy

So i know it is advised against to buy a used car seat because you don't know the history and how it was cared for etc... So wouldn't it be hypocritical to sell a used seat? I mean if we are saying don't trust people, shouldn't we not sell ours because they don't know us?

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I don't think it's hypocritical because we know that the seat is usable and safe. If it was crashed or the straps were washed and one chose to sell it, then yes, that would be hypocritical.

Athena

I wondered this myself, but then I realized that they are way better off buying my seat (safe and I inform them about expiration) than most of them on CL, so I don't feel bad about it at all. I agree that lots of people will continue to buy used seats, so better they buy ours, right?

katymyers

I've never sold a seat (mainly because I form irrational emotional attachments to car seats and can't bring myself to sell one on Craigslist) but I have given people in need old seats of mine. I actually feel really good about being able to tell someone it was never crashed or checked as baggage, the harness never got washed, and the cover was always cleaned according to manufacturer specifications. I love telling people I have all the original pieces (even the locking clip lol) AND the manual. Maybe someday I'll grow up and actually sell one and I'm sure I would get the same reactions from people.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
On the contrary. There will always be buyers of used seats with unknown history. As a seller, if you know your seat meets all the usual requirements for used car seats, then I believe it's a lot better to sell it than to have it end up in a landfill before it's time.

That's kind of why we have www.carseatswap.com . While there will always be untrustworthy sellers anywhere, we hope that there is a much higher percentage of honest sellers here who share a passion for child passenger safety and make it a little better environment than Craigslist or garage sales.

Of course, you can always give it to a relative or friend that trusts you or to a local instructor for training as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC