Cool weather ideas...

rebeccah5

I was reading a discussion on another older post mentioning the bulky winter clothing and how the bulk should go over the straps, rather than under (i.e. blanket over the secured child instead of a baby in a snowsuit.) I just wanted to bring up something we've used for the past several years and see what y'all think (since it is finally starting to get cooler around here.)

When my DD was less than 1 y.o. and we were going through her first winter, my mom started making her fleece ponchos with a little variation. They were super simple to make and she got to pick out what colors/prints she wanted which made it even better. Basically you just take a large square of fleece and cut a hole in the center. My mom liked using the stretchy stuff like T-Shirt and Sweatshirt trim (you can find it at Hancock's or JoAnns, or maybe even Wal-Mart) to make a sort of turtleneck opening that she sewed into the hole. It worked great for getting in and out of the car because I could just flip up the poncho to buckle and unbuckle her in her seat, and the excess fabric I basically let hang over the seat. We've been using them for DS, too. Even though it's a poncho, we picked stuff like frogs and cars fleece so it looks boyish. It's worked great for us, although we live in an area that doesn't get super cold and snowy for very long.

Anybody else have any good cold weather suggestions?

ADS

MandiRN

So, would that fleece coverall from LLBean be "acceptable" to wear in the seat? I'm facing the same battle, trying to figure out what DD can wear in the car during these cold New England Winters. Thanks.

canadianmom2three

A guide that a lot of folks around here seem to use, is that if you can fit the item under the harness, and not have to loosen it any more than you would for the clothing they usually wear, than it is ok to wear under the harness. That said, I have managed to jam in DS's winter coat under the harness without loosening it from its tshirt position, and I wouldn't highly recommend it - he was about to suffocate basically...but a fleece jacket might be just fine
It is super cold up here in the winter, and what I usually do is have everyone get in, then shut all the doors, and they take off their coats (while the heater blasts away) and then buckle up and put the coats backwards over the buckled belts. We also keep fleece blankets, each kid has a 'car blanket' that they put over themselves too. Some mornings I get a LOT of complaints, but that's just what we do.

CarSeatPoncho

Hi rebeccah5! I actually created a product, called the Car Seat Poncho, that has all the advantages of the poncho, as you mentioned, and has a specially designed double-pull zipper that saves you and your DC the trouble of flipping up the front of the poncho.

The double zipper also comes in handy if your DC begins to get too warm. You can pull the top of the zipper open to give DC a little air or a lot. You can even pull the poncho off completely without unbuckling the harness or disturbing the baby.

I hope it's ok to post this. Anyway, thank you all for letting me talk about it!

rebeccah5

Hi rebeccah5! I actually created a product, called the Car Seat Poncho, that has all the advantages of the poncho, as you mentioned, and has a specially designed double-pull zipper that saves you and your DC the trouble of flipping up the front of the poncho.

The double zipper also comes in handy if your DC begins to get too warm. You can pull the top of the zipper open to give DC a little air or a lot. You can even pull the poncho off completely without unbuckling the harness or disturbing the baby.

I hope it's ok to post this. Anyway, thank you all for letting me talk about it!

That is so cool!! They look great! :thumbsup:

I love the heavier polar fleece for young'uns. It's still thin enough to wear under the harness, but warm enough for all but the coldest days (especially when you're just planning on going to & from the vehicle).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I just bought one of these on Ebay:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...ry=5267&cat4=3160&shop_method=pp&feat=5267-tn

I am also going to get a regular coat fleece and keep a big blanket in the car.

It's ok, might be a bit much for the car (don't want kids being TOO warm!)... fleece is generally ok... but you have to watch out on young babies that it's still not too thick (something about 'relative' thinness to consider... fleece that seems thin on ME when spread out under a huge seatbelt, can be way too thick on a teeny baby under a tiny little bit of seatbelt... hard to explain, easier to demonstrate in real life, lol). It's all better than puffy down filled jackets!

amy919

My girls have these coats:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_077S0762000P?vName=Baby&cName=Toddler+Girl+Clothing&sName=Outerwear

coat.jpg
[/IMG]

They're very thin and I do not have to adjust their harness to get them in. I'm comfortable with them. They are the thinnest I've been able to find and they keep the girls incredibly warm. They're the only winter coats we use, except for the big puffy ones that go with their snowsuits, but those are exclusively for playing in the snow:)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC