Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

New vehicle: what's best for three radians?

Hi everyone. As always, thanks for the support you've given me here! This resource is invaluable. If my post is in the wrong sub forum, i can repost if preferred.

I was involved in an accident a couple weeks ago. Was not my fault, other drive wasn't paying attention crossing an infersection and we collided. Our car insurance here actually covers replacement seats, so that's awesome, and I got a brand new seat already. It's the same one we had before, Radian RXT. (But this time we got it in Plum purple instead of Shadow, lol!)

Anyway, the car went in to be assessed and it looks like it might be $6300 in damages. My insurance place told me to book an autobody appointment to have the car actually taken apart, though, because if the damages are much more than that they will just write it off.

So, in the event that its a write off, I'm looking to research getting a new vehicle! We had a 2010 pt cruiser. I liked it, but I want something that will be more practical...

We are planning to have 2, probably even 3 kids and we love our Radian RXT! Would likely get the same seat for the next kiddos too. Currently, we are talking about having our kids two years apart (our daughter just turned one), so potentially, I could have two if not three children all rear facing for a while!

I am therefore looking for recommendations for reliable vehicles that can comfortably fit in three Radians rear facing with all of them eventually forward facing of course.

I am open to buying used vehicles as well, so if there is a particularly good year for a specific vehicle you could recommend too, I'm all ears.

Thanks very very much!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

If you want a nicer car Nissan Altima or Maxima is a nice car (I like the 08 models) but if you are wanting a lot more space go for a SUV. I haven't personally driven but heard the Nissan Armada (are on the safest SUV list) is nice. I am a bigger is better gal and would go with something Suburban size lol. If you like trucks a Dodge Mega Cab will fit even the largest of seats side by side. I have a Dodge Mega Cab 06 and a few days ago had my daughters friend with us. I had a frontier 85, evenflo tribute sport, and a Cosco highback booster. Each had about 3" between each seat so no where near touching. A plus with these is they do keep value very well doing you go to resale it is nice. I would go for used with all these cars because of the prices though. Since our dodge is a diesel dually it goes for used about 28000 on Kelly's blue book, so a cheaper one to go for would be 1500 or 2500.

Edie to add something lol.

Awesome, thanks! I guess I should have also noted that our pt cruiser cost us about $14,000, and we were making payments, so ideally something around the same price point.

Quote Originally Posted by kendramonk View Post
    Awesome, thanks! I guess I should have also noted that our pt cruiser cost us about $14,000, and we were making payments, so ideally something around the same price point.
    You can get a Nissan 08 models used for around $8000 and later models SUVs around $4000. I am not a mini van person, to redneck lol. But there are probably nice ones out there.

Thanks! Im starting to feel like a mini van type car or SUV, something that seats 7, would be great for us. Cheaper the better as long as its fairly safe I think!

I'd definitely look at Honda Odysseys. We bought the top model '06 in 2010 for $17,000. I love it! Its great for getting kids in and out, traveling, changing diapers, whatever.
    ~Shannon
    DD (11.5) Seatbelt; DS (9) Incognito; DD2 (7) Britax Parkway; DD3 (4.5) Graco Nautilus

Look at Craigslist. Just remember you need to have used cars looked at by a mechanic and also check for liens on the car.

Re: New vehicle: what's best for three radians?

Thanks, I'm looking into the Odyssey right now! They look really nice and not too badly priced.

And yep, I think I would buy from a dealership anyway!