Question what would you do? minor accident related

last night I watched my neighbor's drunk friend back into my Jetta with his Dodge Ram and his trailer hitch cracked the front bumper. it made a loud cracking noise and the vehicle moved several inches.

I have two rear facing Peg Perego convertibles installed with latch.

I really tried to settle it without calling the police but he was an arrogant ass and tried to say that he didn't do it. I told him he can just buy the part and be done with it but he decided he would rather I call the police so I did. he left for 40 minutes and came back without the trailer hitch on his car claiming that he couldn't possibly have done it...

long story short, a neighbor was up on the third floor porch and had seen it all and because they agreed they would write a statement he got cited for careless backing. I have an accident report but have never dealt with this before...do I contact my insurance company right now?

Just because this guy was such a jerk I am also considering going after him to replace the car seats just because. Would you? he has State Farm and I have Geico. Do we think that State Farm would replace them ?

This guy was beyond a jerk... I wish you all could have been there it was incredible. He reeked of alcohol but of course the officer didn't see him driving. after FHP left he went back into his friend's house and I guess decided to stay.

Basically just please tell me how you would handle this... Thanks.

ADS

Stelvis

I think you normally go through YOUR insurance and then they work it out with his insurance. But yes, absolutely, I'd go after him for the seats.

SavsMom

Call State Farm and file a claim. Also tell State Farm about the seats, however prior to calling have a copy of the Peg owners manual that discusses seat replacement in an accident.
We have State Farm and I was hit by a lady who left the scene so we filed on our own insurance. They would only replace the seat after I showed them in Evenflos owners manual that the seat had to be replaced after any accident. Upon receipt of that info they had a check waiting for me.

aeormsby

Call YOUR insurance company. They should take care of you (including replacing the seats if you tell/show them they need to be replaced after any accident) and your ins company will deal with the other driver's ins to get reimbursed. You'll most likely need to pay your collision deductible but that might get reimbursed from the other insurance also (I think that may depend on the at fault laws for your state).

Athena

Why would you avoid calling the police to report a drunk driver, much less one that just hit your car?

Like others have said, go through your insurance. Just call them and they'll know what to do. They will collect from his. That's what you pay them for. And yes, I'd ask about the seats too. Good luck!

for the first 45 minutes he was not there and was heading back. I did not realize I was dealing with someone who was drunk or this unreasonable at first. As soon as he arrived and I realized he was a jerk and had taken the hitch off his truck etc. I called the police.

I spoke to a friend who is an agent here in Florida with Geico. he told me I have two options, pay my deductible and get my car fixed through Geico and hope that I get reimbursed or file a claim with his insurance ( State Farm) and let them cut me a check... I can obviously then get the repair done for less money if I choose.

I went to my Volkswagen dealership today and got a printed quote to repair my car. The total will be $450. I have already filed a claim with his insurance company and now they are trying to reach him. They are saying that much of this depends on his cooperation and the agent wouldn't give me that much information. She did say that as far as car seats go, they will need the original receipts which sounds crazy to me... she did not argue as to whether or not they should be replaced. I just actually told her that the manufacturer recommends it and I am not comfortable using them again.

agave

I have been told twice by State Farm to just get whatever seats I want and fax them the receipts. They never even asked what seats I was replacing. That is the only nice thing I'm going to say about them.

Athena

That all sounds so awful. Sorry you're having to deal with this. I can't believe your insurance is making you pay your deductible when it wasn't your fault. When I was in a similar situation, my insurance just handled it, but different states have different laws. If you bought your seats online you might be able to track down your receipt or maybe try talking to someone else at the insurance company and see what they say. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC